How to stop a biter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarcytheDutch

Reaction score
We adopted a 18 month old female dutch last week. She was a rescue and is spayed.

We read the "bonding with your bunny" thread, which is great, but I had to laugh at the "show no fear" idea. We are a bit afraid of this bun. She bites. We are ok with the little nibbles, but if you irritate her in any way, she'll turn and gives you a big bite. Sometimes she's Ok if we pet her, other times, she'll come up and sniff you and then chomp down on your arm. She bit my daughter (10 years old)yesterday because she was in her hopping path. She gets very irritated when we clean her cage (but it has to be done sometime).

Last week the biting was very worrisome (did we make the right choice?). It has gotten better, but we are still hesitant when the bunny comes to sniff us.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Beth

Are you picking her up a lot? Does she randomly bite or is there anything in particular that sets her off? My bun bun was a horrible biter with my 10 year old daughter. He chomped down on her. We thought about adopting him out.But we gave him a little more time, and once he got used to us and bonded with us it stopped. Maybe she just needs time. You've only had her a week. Never pick her up unless it's absolutely necessary. Try to spend time with her. I used to wear a sweat shirt or jacket when I spent time with him. That way there would be a little padding if he bit.

Sounds like she's trying to boss you around. If she's biting to make you move, that's inappropriate behaviour. My suggestion: every time she nips like that, shriek or cry out, then pick her up and put her in her cage for a time out. Just put her in there and walk away and ignore her for 10 to 15 minutes.

That's how we handle Gus when he nips, anyway. He responds very well to bunny time outs.

Also, don't clean her cage with her in it or even in the room. Put her in another room while you clean.

But mostly give her time and space to settle in. Don't be forceful with her, just work on building that trust and bond.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks for all the tips. We haven't been picking her up (mostly out of fear LOL). We just sit on the floor, outside her cage, with the door open and talk to her. We have been letting her come up to us. I do think she is bossy.

My daughter is just disappointed. She raised all the money for the rabbit, cage and supplies. She did a huge report on rabbit care before we would let her think about adopting a bunny. She thought she was going to get a bunny who would cuddle and listen to her tween struggles. The bunny was totally different at our meet-and-greet adoption (maybe he was scared) but he sat on her lap, got his nails trimmed and walked on a harness. Bunny is getting better and I think that in the end we'll see that "good things come to those who wait".

Aw, I'm sorry your daughter is disappointed. Have you spoke to the rescue at all about the biting? They may have someother ideas how to handle her based on their interactions with her, history at her previous home, etc.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back