How to start showing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbitlover

Reaction score
what is the criteria for showing rabbits? -- andwhat is the point? I would love to do it just for fun, i mean, is therean y purpose? ... do u win money, or prizes or something. I dont getit! (CONFUSED)

oh you'll get it after the first few shows!!! itgets very compeditive! You win prizes, usually a ribbon, maybe if youwin big a trophy, usually not cash, but the point of winning is justthe winning! the point of showing is the winning and the fun! the bestpart of shows is being with people you know who love what you love. whowill get up a 3 am every saturday and sunday to be with you and therabbits.

gotta go but got lots to say edit and write more later!

I'm not sure where you are and criteriaare different. By that I mean that the standards to enter an ARBA showare very diffrreny from entering a local fair show.

Like any contest the point is to win. For alot of people that's thewhole point. But for a lot of people, me included, showing isjust plain fun. It's an opportunity to talk to and get to know peoplethat are intersted in the same thing you are...rabbits.

The Arba website contains alot of information that may answer many ofyour questions. http://www.arba.net/
As for awards, trophies etc, most shows do offer rewards ofsome type, ribbons, trophies,plaques etc. I'm not sure about thte moneypart. I know that when Apollo won we got a check but not sure if that'sthe norm.

Tina

fairs sometimes give $$.

There are a few different types of shows, but mainly ARBA sanctioned and non=ARBA sanctioned (4H shows and most fairs).
At arba sanc. shows your rabbit is jugded by a licenced judge againstother rabbits of its age, sex, color, and breed. if it wins it goes onto higher awards. the rabbits are judged by a book published by thearba every five years called the Standard of Perfection that gives theideal for every breed/color of rabbit that is showable. You put yourrabbit on the table at the right time and the juge takes it from there.Rabbits can win an award called a leg at an arba sanctioned show if itwins enough. (first of at least 5 with at least 3 exhibitors). if itgets three legs, you are an arba member and the rabbit is registeredwith the arba, then it can be a grand champion. however you do not needto be an arba member to show.

4h shows are smaller, open only to youth, and your rabbit can not winlegs at it. judges are not necessarily arba licenced and the entry feesare lower. other than that it is much the same. 4h shows have aseparate competition called showmanship where you show off your rabbit.showmanship varies from area to area but arba just approved astandardized showmanship format that may begin to be used around thecountry.

some shows are pre-entry shows, however for most shows you show up theday of the show, and fill out your entry form and a remark card foreach rabbit you are showing. entry fees are usually about $2-$3 a head.fur classes where they judge only fur are less. you do not need tobring your rabbits to the entry table. make sure your rabbit has atattoo in its left ear or it cant be shown.

it is helpful to bring a freind with you who has done it before to yourfirst show to help you out. i encourage you to try showing--its a lotof fun.

hey carolyn how about a cheat sheet for rabbit showing????

p.s. whats with the manna stuff?

babbitlover wrote:
what is the criteria for showing rabbits? -- and what is thepoint? I would love to do it just for fun, i mean, is there an ypurpose? ... do u win money, or prizes or something. I dont get it!(CONFUSED)
See! I told you a thread would get you a lot of info on here.

There are so many people involved with showing here that I'm sure they can tell you anything you want to know.

First, you have to have a pure bred bunny tho I think...... do you?

No, actually you do not have to have apurebred bunny, as long as the bunny meets the requirements for aparticular breed, it can be shown in that breed. For example, if youhave a bunny that you think looks a lot like a holland, you can show itas a holland if it meets weight, type and color requirements forhollands. Basically, ears must be lopped, adult weight must be under 4pounds and it must be an accepted color for showing.

You do not have to be an ARBA member to show, either. However, ifyour rabbit does do well on the show table and you want to have itregistered, it has to be a purebred with a complete 3 generationpedigree and you have to be an ARBA member to have it registered. Onlyregistered rabbits can then be awarded a Grand Champion certificate byARBA.

As to the rewards of showing, it's a great experience. You get tomeet lots of people from many walks of life. You will make so manyfriends, and some will last a lifetime. There is a lot to learn, so youare working your brain all the time (preventative for alzhiemers). Oh,yeah, they give ribbons for class placement and trophies or otherawards for breed wins. If you win consistantly, you have an easier timeselling your rabbits and can ask higher prices for them because ofconsistant quality. If you join your breed specialty club and win, youhave your name in the magazine or newsletter. And, best of all, you getto show off your pride and joy, *your bunny*!

Suzy

I didn't know that! (see, I wasn't the person to ask about showing lol)

They cannot be altered tho, right?

Suzy wrote:
... you want to have it registered, it has to be a purebredwith a complete 3 generation pedigree and you have to be an ARBA memberto have it registered.

Ahh... and the 3 generation pedigree MUST have theWeights of the rabbits in the pedigree. A pedigreewithout a parent / grandparent's weight(s) will hinder yourregistration, hence COMPLETE Pedigree. ;)

One of my pet peeves - missing weights in a pedigree :?

Weights...too few people really care...

Bo: Fixed bucks cannot be shown due to lackingtesticles. However spayed does can be shown as long as thescar healed and didn't leave a bare spot or white spot.:D

if you read the list of dq's in the standard ofperfection it does not list that spayed does are not allowed to beshown. if a judge found it he may give it an unworthy of anaward but it is unlikley that he would see it. the SoP doeslist a dq for non-decended testicles on senior bucks.

Only intact female rabbits can be shown under ARBA definition.

Pam

Doe: intact/unaltered female rabbit

I couldn't elaborate on my answer before as I was at the library and only had about 15 seconds left on the computer :)

UnderARBA rules, there are only "buck" and "doe"classes. The ARBA Standard Glossarydefines "bucks"and "does" as being *intact* -- which translates into *no* classes forneutered animals.

Pam

thanks for all the usefulness. i willlook at the sites and try to start showing my buns. I have NO IDea, ifthey meet any criteria, but iwill find out. i know they are just sodarn cute haha. cammeron had her babies, and, i am sonervous, its like really having kids, goodness... thanks to all for urhelp. aay-

Latest posts

Back