How to start a rescue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
This question is more for people who run/volunteer at rescues.

I'm very interested in starting my own rescue someday. Itwould of course include bunnies :) but other animals as well.I have a pretty ambitious vision. If you've read Ranch ofDreams by Cleveland Amory, you'll know what I'm goingfor. I would like to get a huge farm where ALL animals inneed are welcome -- pets, farm animals, zoo animals, wild animals,etc.. Basically a safe haven for animals. Some willbe adopted out, while others will be permanent residents.

Anyway, what is the process from start to finish for starting arescue? I know there's paper work, but not sure what needs tobe done. Thanks!

p.s. I probably won't be doing thisany time soon (I'm just graduating my grad program at age 22 forgoodness sakes!) but do want to start thinking about it now so thatmaybe in 10 years or so it will come to fruition.

You could check with other local rescues orshelters about state requirements. A good way to start off before youstart your own rescue would be to volunteer with another rescue (if youhaven't already). This way you'll know what to expect.

I can tell you this much...it's notcheap!!! My Buns cost me $265 a month, just for basics whichis pellets, hay veggies, woody pet, Wasa crackers, papaya, andveggies! Vet costs are not included. This alsodoesn't included toys, mats, cleaning supplies, or laundrycosts. So, get all the facts and think twice before you gointo this. It requires a huge commitment of not only yourmoney. Once you begin this, your time will never be yourown. Vacations will become a dream. Unless you havemany volunteers, the work will seem to be never ending.You'll clean....constantly, then you'll turn around and find more"dirt". I don't want to discourage anyone from rescueing....Ijust want to point out a few of the not so good things.Actual adoptions, are few & more animals will be waiting atyour door. However, the rewards, when they happen,can be great. Charlotte

Charlotte's post about money and costs remindedme - you may want to look at the IRS web site for info on setting uptax exempt charities. It may give an idea if there areclasses you need in accounting, book keeping, financial management,etc. A lot of community colleges offer classes on starting asmall business which may also be useful.

Definately withIRS , but also , theres more thatneed contacting , Your Local Dept ofAgraculture , the Town You planon residing , Depending on size andlocation , theres health inspecters ,Zoning issues , neighbors ,Vets , Local Wildlife Enforcement ,An excellentTax preparer , the on goinglist scares a lot of people off ,Cost is the biggest factorin running any rescue , AsCharlotte mentioned $ 500.00 a monthis only the tip of the iceburg, it can exceed thousands amonth , Especially if your doingthe larger Exotics , the Cagingfactor alone will have to meetwith strict guide lines , and permits, I do want to Commend youthough , Its an excellent choiceof profession , tho the onlycost that can never be recoveredis the cost of a broken heart , .

I would like to also suggestCalling the Local University in yourarea and find out aboutclasses dealing with Animal management ,Maybe even becoming aVet Tech , one thing iregret the most isnever continuing my education Inthe Animal aspect .

As I told Brimmherethis is not a glammor job , itsone of the more thankless jobs in the world, Keep in mind also theStress factor , I have seen somemonths where my medication dueto stress has exceeded the costof my rescue . Is itall worth it , Yes itsurely is , one look in the eyes of a frightenedanimal says it all , Then tosee that Fright turn intotrust is the mostawsome awe inspiring feeling youcan ever have .

Its a hugeresponsibility , the moreknowledge you have going intoit the betterprepared you are forhandleing any of the major catastrophiesthat can crop up out of the blue. Please feel free toPm with any questionsyou would like answers for .Just please keep one thing in mind ,

You have to have a heartof stone with thecompassion to do whats rightfor the animal , I personallynever got used to the heart of stone, But compassion mostalways is already in place .

Latest posts

Back