How to know when buns are ready to move in together?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaela

Reaction score
Ebony and Ruby have been getting on really well together. Ebony occasionally was nipping Ruby's bum - not hard, just like a dominant thing - though that hasn't happened in a while. Also she humps her a little bit - again just dominance. The only real issue is that Ebony has been grooming Ruby's eyes a little bit too much. :?

I have never bonded rabbits before (Berri, Pebble and Ebony were a trio, but I didn't have to bond them of course) so I'm not really sure when they can live together.. Anyone got any advice for me with this? When did you let yours stay together full time?

Thanks! :)

It's a tough one! I remember having the same dilemna with our four.... To me, they weren't fighting, but Mouse and Chalk didn't seem that close to Snowy- it wasn't love. Snowy still 'chased' them occasionally, although not in a violent way, (and I think it was mostly down to her not having the best vision, seeing a bunny shape, going to sniff it and them jumping out of their skin and legging it!) and they would always just 'walk away' and it would be fine. Tiny bit of 'bum nipping', but as you said, not in a rough way at all. But, since they've moved in together, they've become so much closer. I think I had reached a dead-end as far as progress just with play-time was concerned, and it took them spending 24/7 together to be really close. Now, they cuddle and groom each other (well, grooming is maybe not so often lol!) and are really really close and 'loved up'.

Soooo.... tricky! Personally, I'd say that if you're sure they aren't going to fight, and it wont get nasty give it a go? But then I'm no expert... It does sound like they've made great progress though! :D

I didn't want to answer this one either..

anytime I have had confidence in a pair they have always disappointed me with a fight. :?

Now (with Beau and Willow) they are permitted to be together but only when I am in very close proximity to them..never when I go out or to bed

Thanks for the replies. :)

Yeah it's very tricky knowing.. my gut instinct tells me to give them a bit longer.. I'll keep going for a while longer at least with the play sessions, and see how we go. I'll ask mum to supervise them all day together tomorrow when I'm at school.

I'll keep you updated of any progress. :)

When i was bonding Tony and Muffin, I just started giving them more space and time unsupervised. We started in the bathtub, and once I was sure they wouldn't hurt each other and it was obvious that I was a distracting presence for their bonding, I would close the curtain (so they wouldn't jump out) and either stay in the room reading a book, or walk away but stay within earshot. Once we moved bonding sessions into non-neutral territory (Tony's half of the house, the living room etc), I would supervise them closely until I was sure they wouldn't kill each other (really not that bad for these two), then walk out of the room and keep my ears peeled. Eventually I started leaving them together when I was out for a short period of time, then a few hours, then while I slept, and finally they were together all the time. Just make it gradual and don't increase their time together more than you feel comfortable with.

I left Basil and Penny together for longer and longer periods. Eventually, they would be together all day while we were home and I would just check on them occasionally. After being together basically all weekend, I decided to try to leave them together during the day when we weren't home and I ended up running home on my lunch to check on them. Everything was fine. I think I did that for a couple of days and finally just stopped after a few.

I'd go with your gut. My two fell in love as soon as they laid eyes on each other, but I still kept them seperate for about 2 weeks. My original plan was to not put them together until Gixxer was neutered but when they were out playing they would always go into one or the other's cage to cuddle, when it was time to be put up for the night they looked so sad to not be with each other so I figured it was time.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

I have just now allowed them together in the hutch, under both me and my mum supervising.. fingers crossed!

So far so good! :D

They are snuggling and grooming.:hearts It's raining right now so I'll get some pictures when it's nicer. ;)

How's it going now, Michaela? Are they actually living together now, or just having time in the hutch together?

And, hey! You promised some pics lol! :p :waiting:

Back