How to keep y bunny cool?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link

Reaction score
The weather's been getting warmer. I think it may be in the hundreds tomorrow. I know rabbits can cope with cold but not so much heat. How can i keep my rabbit cooler? I have already been making sure he has plenty of water. He is a Tan by the way and i have already noticed him acting more sluggish with the heat.

make sure he always has COLD water, put some ice cubes in his water. They usually won't drink warm water. Rabbits keep cool by losing heat through their ears, they don't sweat like humans. So wet your hands and rub it on his ears that will help him stay cool. You can tell if he is over heated if his ears are extremely hot. The link I sent should have info on heat strokes :)

Marble tiles stay cooler than room temperature. I have 2 tiles in Sophie's cage which she loves laying on in the summer. If it's really warm I take frozen water bottles and I'll put one on the edge of the tile and it makes both tiles very cold. I bought my tiles at Home Depot for $6 per tile. 12" by 12"

You can also mist their ears with water.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HRS has a good link on this as well: http://rabbit.org/faq-warm-weather-concerns/

Is your rabbit indoors or outdoors? My indoor buns get to enjoy our central AC but we definitely don't cool it down to their ideal temperature. They have some big marble and ceramic tiles I gt from home depot that I leave around my room and in their cage. When it's really warm I alternate their tiles between the freezer and the cage. They also have their own personal fan I aim at part of their cage (but not all of it so they can get out of the direct breeze if they want to).

He is in an atrium in the middle of our house. It has a concrete floor and half of the roof is netting while the other half is wood. There is no air conditioning inside or out there. The tiles thing is a really good idea.

You can take a 2 liter bottle of soda with water, really any container, freeze it and put it in your rabbits area. I usually put one in front of a fan and they lay in front of in to cool off and a couple in random resting places so they can sleep comfortably during the day. Its going to be 100+ for the next few days in SoCal, so I froze bottles last night to use during the day today.

All the suggestion make by other users works great too. Stone tiles, ice in water bowls and wetting ears will also help keep your bunny cool. If you use a water bottle for your bunnies, try freezing half a water bottle and adding some water to it before hanging it up for your bunnies. The ice can melt through out day while you are not home.

I just brought my rabbits inside for the next two days because the forecast is for high 80s and the trees I was hoping to shade them don't have leaves yet (darn upstate NY!!). You might want to have a back up plan to bring him in just in case your rabbit isn't tolerating the heat, even with all the great ideas everyone has posted.

when it gets over 95 here i bring all of my rabbits inside to the AC cooled house. but that is not easy when you have 12 rabbits and their babies.

This video is fantastic
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Szw_-DU187c[/ame]
It has many nice suggestions for different arrangements

This video is fantastic
Thank's for posting this video. I learned that lop eared rabbits have a harder time with the heat...didn't know that. No wonder my Pepper was panting in the heat!

I was going to try to bare through the heat and not turn on the ac, but the little ones are getting too hot. The ice bottle are just not enough. HototMama was right about the 95. It's 101 right now and it's getting hotter. sigh~

You can fill a bottle with water, freeze it, and put it in his cage. He will snuggle against it if he is hot. Also, my rabbits love having a bowl of ice. If you freeze a bowl of water and put it in the cage, he will lick it.

My buns thrive on frozen bottles in the hot weather. :) They also enjoy licking condensation off them as they melt.

Latest posts

Back