How to keep the liter box upright.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimosa

Reaction score
Harriet's new favorite thing is flipping her litter box over and digging in the pile she's created. I've gone through almost twice as much litter since she started doing this. It's a pain to clean up, as well. She also likes to move the litter box but continues to pee where the litter box goes, so moving it too location in her condo that would make it harder to turn isn't an option either.

Any suggestions?

Zip Ties :biggrin2:. But I guess that would make changing litter a pain. I have heard of people who use dish pans securing one to the cage and placing another inside the attached one.

I drilled 2 holes into the sides of my litter box and I used twist ties to keep it on the side of the cage. (Buying zip ties I decided would get expensive as I'd cut them off every other day.)

Good luck!

I don't own a drill, so I coughed up a few bucks for some tool called a scratch awl that's supposed to be used for punching nail holes and used that to punch two holes in the long side of the litter box, then zip-tied it to the cage. I've got tons of leftover 4'' zip-ties from building the NIC condo, so I don't mind replacing them every 2-3 days

I've had to secure a few litter boxes myself, because of busy little buns. I use trigger snaps that you can usually get somewhere where they sell horse tack, or sometimes hardware stores will sell them too. Drill a hole close to the edge of the litter box and put the snap through the hole and attach to the cage. Mini carabiners that you can get at walmart would probably work too, I just prefer the snaps.

I have also had to give 2 of my buns a larger box. My remaining bun that has yet to be spayed still throws most of her litter out. Howie threw his litter out until he was neutered.

She was spayed recently so I'm hoping this settles down soon.

I'm going to try the zip ties, I suppose. She likes her littler box in a corner that is hard for me to reach easily, but I'll just have to deal with it. I have an abundance of zip ties from building her cage so I don't mind replacing them often.

Thanks!

Shiny Things favorite toy is her litter box. She moves it all over her cage all day and night. I have not thought about securing it to the cage yet because she goes in there to use the bathroom no matter where in her cage it is. (Probably does not hurt that her cage is slightly less than a 2x2x2 NIC cage.) (long story).

Latest posts

Back