How to keep mosquitos off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester1_andblueberry

Reaction score
So I have recently *a week ago* let my bunnys start to explore outside!But..since in Texas its been raining..not like those flooding like in the news I live by the end tip of Texas, so its more thunder storms..now I know I will not let my rabbits outside until it drys..2ND BUT..Mosquitos..everyone knows mosquitos lay their eggs in water so obviously after the storms and especially ALL during summer even when its dry*!*.. they're out How do I keep them away?! I've only let them outside twice in the last week. I was actually thinking of buying a bunny harness for both buns and sticking a off-clip on XD..But i won't because its bad for them..I think.SO ANYWAYS how do I keep mosquitos away!

For hutches you can be hutch covers and for just exploring you can get these animal proof (they can go near them and stuff) things that keep Mosquitos away. Look it up on the Internet and you will see them. Just look up mosquito killer pet proof 😊

I cover my hutches in a mosquito net at night for protection.

I've also read that citronella candles are useful in keeping away the mosquitoes.

Most of our rabbits are outside and I've never noticed mosquitos bothering the rabbits. Other than a roof and shade cloth that hangs in front of the cages, we don't normally use anything else, although I do hang glue strips to catch flies. We live in the part of the state that has gotten a good bit of rain, too. I think their coat of fur must help them.

They actually aren't in a hutch cx but thank you!! They live inside and I've had Chester for about 6 month and Blueberry for 2 amd they barely started going out side last week..They've only gone out once or twice no more because of fear of the misquitos :c Thanks everyone!!!!!! I'll try to look online!

So..I found a website where you ask a question and a vet answers it..so the person asked how to keep a rabbit from being bitten by misquitos and the lady said you can spray a little bitof off on a washcloth and wipe on them.. but only a little bit for fear the rabbits will ingest it when grooming...I'll probably spray of on a washcloth and use it on me to see if it works when applied to a wash cloth then to skin..hopefully all goees well and I don't become misquito food!!

I don't think you should put any off on your rabbits. That stuff has DEET in it. Which is poison. Even the varieties that don't have DEET have chemicals that should not be ingested. Rabbits groom themselves constantly. Is it worth the risk? Look for natural and organic alternatives. It's not the end of the world if they don't go outside, at least until you figure out the safest way.

I don't think you should put any off on your rabbits. That stuff has DEET in it. Which is poison. Even the varieties that don't have DEET have chemicals that should not be ingested. Rabbits groom themselves constantly. Is it worth the risk? Look for natural and organic alternatives. It's not the end of the world if they don't go outside, at least until you figure out the safest way.
..I decided not to use it after all....I'm going to use rose geranium oil ..I know its not the end of the world...I never made it out to seem to be...and OF COURSE I'll find a safe way and I belive I have...

..I decided not to use it after all....I'm going to use rose geranium oil ..I know its not the end of the world...I never made it out to seem to be...and OF COURSE I'll find a safe way and I belive I have...

Latest posts

Back