How to introduce baby bunnies to adults?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma Nelson

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of introducing baby kits to older bunnies in the household? Our situation: One of our does had a surprise litter 4 weeks ago (a wild rabbit must have interloped). She has a neutered male partner and her sister is bonded with a neutered male too - all 4 bunnies have free roam of the fenced back garden and have established their separate territories very well (urine turns out to be far better than barricades). The 7 kits are currently enjoying the conservatory but I see that the mother wants to bring them into the garden and her partner is interested. Can I introduce him to them - he's the adoptive daddy and he's also the alpha of all 4 adults. The kits are very young ( 4 weeks) so this could be a good time to introduce? If you have experience, I would welcome your help. Thank you.

I would first see what his reaction is to them from the safety of a fencing panel between them. I would also have the mom with them at the time, since he has an established relationship with her. Then if you decide it looks good and you want to proceed from there, just be very cautious. I know some bunny partners act fine with the surprise litter of their companion, but there is always some risk involved when rabbits first get to know each other. You just don't want to have a baby getting injured.

I have introduced a baby bun to an adult neutered male bun, out of necessity though. Not something I was really wanting to do. But he was a very chill bun and not territorial. And I did first introduce them on neutral space. She was scared of him at first, but he was completely fine with her.

Yes i would introduce them to the male but with something between them, and see what the mother does, as some females even though they have bonded with a rabbit for so long, may become quite territorial and very aggressive towards them, when they have their babies with them. If she is fine with the male being around, I would gradually and cautiously introduce the male more to them, because of course even if the male is fine with the new babies (separated by a fence), he may or may not get aggressive towards them without a fence. Same for the mother.

Just keep an eye on them

I would first see what his reaction is to them from the safety of a fencing panel between them. I would also have the mom with them at the time, since he has an established relationship with her. Then if you decide it looks good and you want to proceed from there, just be very cautious. I know some bunny partners act fine with the surprise litter of their companion, but there is always some risk involved when rabbits first get to know each other. You just don't want to have a baby getting injured.

I have introduced a baby bun to an adult neutered male bun, out of necessity though. Not something I was really wanting to do. But he was a very chill bun and not territorial. And I did first introduce them on neutral space. She was scared of him at first, but he was completely fine with her.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply, JBun. All sounds good sense and yes, I'll be cautious - probably a slow process of one baby at a time!

Back