How to house the family after Spay/Neuter ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djakarta

Reaction score
At long last, Miranda has her spay appointment(this coming Monday.) Since Madmartegan will be 12 weeks old he will beneutered the same day.

I had planned on placing new carpet in their cages. The oldcarpet has been spot cleaned, but I'd like the cages to be as clean aspossible to minimize the chance of infection.

Madmartegan will continue is his divided section of the cage after the neuter.

Since Miranda's surgery is more invasive, how should I house herimmediately after the surgery? Can/ should she be in withMocha?

I can put her in a separate 36" by 24" cage for the first few days tolimit her mobility and then put her back in with Mocha. Or should Iwait longer to reintroduce her?

Is it inadvisable to try to reunite the family at some point?

Madmartegan is so miserable and lonesome, I feel awful for him. He sits and grooms his stuffed bunny and breaks my heart.

When I had my fosters in to get fixed, I was advised to put them back with the rest of the family.

The boys got neutered first, and they really don't seem to be affectedby it. The girls is a bit more invasive, but they just sataround till they felt better and the boys didn't really bug them toomuch.

So I would return Miranda to where she was before. Make sureshe's got something clean and soft to lie on, and perhaps some socksfilled with rice that have been warmed up in the microwave.

And I would try to re-unit the family once Miranda is feeling better. Maybe give her two weeks.

Since they have been right beside eachother, they shouldn't be too hardto re-bond. I would take down the barriers, so it's just theNIC panels between them after the surgery, and monitor how they reactto each other. If it's all friendly, take them to neutralterritory and follow bonding procedures. They should becomefriends again fairly quickly.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back