How To: Get Ready For A Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlett

Reaction score
[align=center]I've seen a lot of new breeders and a lot of new showman's here, and being in show's for 6+ years, decided to make a small example of how to get your
little one's prepared for an upcoming show. Be sure to do everything the night BEFORE the show, so they won't have the chance to get dirty. And after
your finished, put them in their show carriers with food and water to assure they won't filthy themselves up all over again. ( If you have ten or twenty
rabbits your taking to a show, try doing it ahead of schedule. At least three or two days ahead, but you can do it in one day if you think you have the
time. )

Everyone loves a good picture book, so why not a good picture How To? In this How To I will give you picture's of the used items for brushing,
grooming, ect.. Alright, here we go!

1# NEVER use a powdery bunny bath that you 'simply' rub in to their coats and brush them. It can leave behind small white particles that the judge
will consider a DQ, and will consider mites. ( Correct me if I'm wrong, but they look identical to mites. )

2# When bathing ( further in the How To ) do not drown your rabbit. Don't even fill up a sink. If you have a sprayer, use that. Just run them under the
water if you do not have a sprayer. Make sure the water is between hot and cold; not freezing cold and not burning hot. Rabbits are content with mild,
warm water.

3# "Why shouldn't I put my rabbit back in his regular cage after I bathe, groom, dry, and clip?" Because your rabbit will dirty himself. They tend to lay
on their sides, and they might do this in cages without a wire bottom, and on pine shavings they might have done their business on. That ruins their fur,
and even putting them in wire cages, make their feet yellowish again. ( Trust me, in one night a rabbit can dirty himself. ) But if you have time before
the show to do this, feel free to.

4# When clipping toenail's, always, always look out for the quick. The quick is the red line in the back of a rabbits toenail. Never cut there. If you
happen to accidentally cut the quick ( I have done it, too. ), get some baking flour in a cap or in a bowl and put the bleeding rabbit's nail in the flour for
about five to ten minutes. Depends on how long it takes to stop the quick. If the quick doesn't stop before twenty mintues strikes, I'd say call a vet. But
I don't think you'll have to. Just be careful.
( NEVER use pliers or any other nail clippers to clip your rabbits nails except for rabbit nail clippers only. I repeat, never. )

5# "Can I use people's hair brushes for grooming?" If you do, your my sidekick. You can definitely use people's hair brushes for grooming, they just
won't work as well as brushes made uniquely for a rabbit. I tend to use a bristly, molting rabbit brush to get out all the unneeded, molted, excess fur
before and after a bath, then I run them under the water again, get all the hairs out, dry them, then use clean people's brushes to flatten their fur and
comb them.

6# "My rabbit has white fur, and he's got yellow spots all over!" Bucks tend to get yellow spots on them, as they think spraying on themselves comes as
an attraction for the ladies, I guess. Bucks are totally lady lovers. All I must say to resolve this issue is bathe, bathe, bathe, and run your hands threw
their fur until the yellow spots come out. Be sure to get most of it off. Judges don't appreciate a dirty rabbit, or so I've heard.

7# "Is there any kind of soap I can use to bathe my rabbits with?" A few soaps are designed for rabbits, but I still think you'd just be wasting your
money on a product you wouldn't need. Water is really everything you need for bathing.

8# "Can I paint my rabbits nails before a show?" There's a question I've never answered. But the answer is no. Try to resist the urge of turning your
rabbit into a fairy princess, please. Male judges won't support the idea. Female judges, eh, who know's.

Okie dokie, now that we have FAQ covered, lets just chat.

Bathing: Bathing your rabbit is done super easy, if you have a rabbit that will cooperate with you. Most rabbits don't care for bathing, and will try to be
escape artists about it, most rabbits will set and enjoy the spa treatment their recieving. You do not need any special shampoo for bathing a rabbit, just
water. Wash them in a kitchen or bathroom sink, the choice is yours. But do NOT fill the sink up with water, simply use a sprayer or let the spigot run
over them, just try not to let it get into their noses. The worst that will happen is they'll sneeze. Why shouldn't you fill the sink with water? Because the
hair that comes off them just wanders around, and sticks back onto them, and the water gets dirty if they do some business. Rabbits don't like to bathe,
and I'm sure you don't, in their own filth. Try not to let your rabbits paw do down the drain, either, but I'm sure if their paw does find the drain, they
won't go down with it. Its just it has a bit of a chance breaking its leg if it trips or falls down the drain. No one wants that. Also, use an old shirt when
bathing your rabbits. Your gonna get a little hairy and a little soaked.

Drying: Use a towel, and wrap your rabbit up. Use two towels, in case. After you've dried him, he is still not fully dry. Use a hair dryer to dry him the
rest of the way off, or the best you can. Same with long-haired rabbits. But make sure they are in a clean spot, so their feet won't get dirty or they
won't dirty up again. Turn the hair dryer on low, and turn it on warm, not hot. Rabbits will love this, at least mine do. They will sit like angels for you.
Be sure to be smoothing down their fur while your at it, too, so their fur won't be sticking up, and they won't have a mohawk.

Grooming: Use clean brushes for this, not the brush you bathed and groomed with, or the hair from the brush will join back in with the clean hair. If
you must, buy three rabbit brushes all together to assure yourself. I use human Conair brushes that work fine, being the excess, dead fur is gone from
their coats. Groom them down, smooth down their hair, and gradually smooth your hand down their fur to be sure your aboslutely done and cleaned.

Nail Trimming: For trimming nails, I suggest you use a rabbit nail cutter only ( pictured below ) and not human, dog, ect. clippers. Especially not
pliers. Pliers are a hazard to rabbit nails. Before trimming, locate your rabbits 'quick' ( The quick is a red line in the center of your rabbits nails. ) first.
The quick is easier seen in clear, whitish nails, and harder seen in dark, black nails. Ask a parent or have someone assist you if you can't find it. I'm sure
it won't be that hard to find. After locating the quick, start trimming your rabbits nails. Take them by their ears gently, and flipped them over onto their
backs. If you must use both hands, put them between your legs and clasp your legs together to hold them. Don't squeeze them, though. Your rabbit will
get used to the cutting, and relax after a minute or two. Now be sure you know where the quick is. Cut a tiny ways from the quick. Not right up on top
the quick, not too near the quick. As long as their nails are not short, and not sharp, it is fine. Cut all of them the same way. Or try to. Once you are
done, reward your rabbit with a treat ( Rabbit treat from a bag, some banana, un-sugared cornflakes, ect. ) and a pat, then put them in their show
carriers for the next big day. Don't bother them for the rest of the night, they need their rest to be ready for the big day.

Now time to look at some photo's everyone's been waiting to see.

Rbbits065.jpg

Here is a molting block ( I have think thats what its called ) but if you ever see it, be sure to get it. It works great at removing dead fur, and works great
grooming out unneeded hair on a molting rabbit. I love it. Keep it in a plastic bag, though. If it gets stepped on its going to crush.

CLIPPERS001.jpg

Here are rabbit nail clippers. They came in a package with a rabbit on it, and they are real rabbit nail clippers. They work great, to, and never dull. A
good brand, but I got these years ago, so I can't tell you the brand name, or I would.

Rbbits063.jpg

The rabbit brush I use for a molting rabbit, and getting out unneeded hair. It may look painful, and may look like it pulls the rabbits fur out in clumps,
but it doesn't. Its actually a very nice, soothing brush that my rabbits loved to be groomed with. I know its a little dated, but as long as it still works,
and still brushes, its a treasure.

Rbbits064.jpg

Here is a comb I use to make a texture on their fur. The texture it makes sort of looks like an dressage arena that has been combed over, and never
walked on before. Beautiful texture, but it just gets smoothed down. Its also a good knot remover, for your little bunnies who tend to have knots.

Rbbits067.jpg

Flour. Always bring flour to a show, and keep it there, in case someone needs it, or you need it. Its always great to have on hand, and trust me, you'll
need it someday.

Rbbits066.jpg

Spare water. Bring at least three whole gallons if your bringing more than ten rabbits, and its going to be a long, hot day. Even if its going to be a cold
day, still keep it on hand. People with clipboards tour by, and if your rabbits don't have food or water, they'll write it down and report it to the judge.
They have those kind of people at big, major shows.

Remember to practice showmanship, if you do that. I hope everyone learned about getting ready! I would love your comments.[/align]

I use baby wipes for cleaning feet/bottoms/etc. We do nails and general cleaning up the night before. I carry baby wipes to the shows, and use those to spot touch anyone that might need it. Mine are in wire-bottom cages, so I just put them back in their big cages for the night. I figure they spend enough time in those little carriers, they don't have to sleep in them, too. :)

And for grooming, I think it depends on the breed. For my breeds (Californians and French Lops) all that's needed are damp hands. You just spritz your hands, and then rub them all over the bunny.

I also keep spare frozen water bottles. Then just throw them in the cooler until needed at the show.

The grooming block is a charcoal block. You can buy a long piece at any kitchen/restaurant supply store. Then just use a knife and cut into desired widths. VERY cheap that way.

Don't forget books/snacks/drinks for yourself.

I also carry paper towels, band aids (for the inevitable scratches you're going to get during the show. LOL), disposable disinfecting wipes, the ARBA SoP book, and pedigree book.

For day-of-show entries, I print them and fill them out the night before. Then just hand them in, with money, at the show. It really speeds up the amount of time you spend in line.

Get there early! You want to make sure you get a good spot to set up. Make sure you give yourself enough room, but don't be a "space hog". There are usually a LOT of rabbits/people to fit into a fairly small space.

wendymac wrote:
I use baby wipes for cleaning feet/bottoms/etc. We do nails and general cleaning up the night before. I carry baby wipes to the shows, and use those to spot touch anyone that might need it. Mine are in wire-bottom cages, so I just put them back in their big cages for the night. I figure they spend enough time in those little carriers, they don't have to sleep in them, too. :)

And for grooming, I think it depends on the breed. For my breeds (Californians and French Lops) all that's needed are damp hands. You just spritz your hands, and then rub them all over the bunny.

I also keep spare frozen water bottles. Then just throw them in the cooler until needed at the show.

The grooming block is a charcoal block. You can buy a long piece at any kitchen/restaurant supply store. Then just use a knife and cut into desired widths. VERY cheap that way.

Don't forget books/snacks/drinks for yourself.

I also carry paper towels, band aids (for the inevitable scratches you're going to get during the show. LOL), disposable disinfecting wipes, the ARBA SoP book, and pedigree book.

For day-of-show entries, I print them and fill them out the night before. Then just hand them in, with money, at the show. It really speeds up the amount of time you spend in line.

Get there early! You want to make sure you get a good spot to set up. Make sure you give yourself enough room, but don't be a "space hog". There are usually a LOT of rabbits/people to fit into a fairly small space.

I wish I had the ARBA SoP book. Really want one! :) Do you mind if I put your tips in the How To guide?

I don't know what I'd do without my SoP! Especially when figuring out when a junior outweighs their class.

Sure, go ahead and add them. If I think of more, I'll post them. :)

Latest posts

Back