How to get rabbit out of the cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
How can I tempt my rabbit to come out of the cage? He is so scared of everything. When I come into the room and he is lying he usually sits and hides in the corner.
I am afraid he'll gain too much weight if he does not move

He may be moving around when no one is in theroom. But you might try tempting him with a treat, like acarrot or something.

Also, have you tried to just pick him up and sit him down outside the cage?
On second thought, how old is he?

He is 1.5 years old, but we just got him a weekago from somebody. I tried taking him outside, he was not too happy andtried to hold to the sides of the cage. Then a second later he jumpedback in the cage and hid in the corner. I think how he is even morescared.

A treat does not work, he is not coming to get it, but sometimes he looks outside when he has to walk close to the door

Welcome AnnaS,

I'd give your little one time. Leave the door open, walk awayfrom the cage, talk to him and just let him come out in his owntime. He will. When he does, I'd give him a treatto encourage him.

My rabbit, Tucker, doesn't fancy the outside too much either.He seems to feel most comfortable with a ceiling overhead. Myrabbit, Fauna, just loves her cage. She'll come out, but I'dsay she divides her time between staying in and coming out.When I first had her, the first couple of weeks, I took her out and puther down on the floor because I was afraid she wasn't getting herexercise. Now I just leave her cage door open and she doesusually hop out each night...even if it's not as long as I'd like herto sometimes. She'll get more comfortable intime. Just have to be patient.

Keep us posted, and don't try to pick your little one up or rush up tohim to pet him when he does come out. Give him somespace. A great time for bonding with a rabbit is at nighttime when you 'close down the house'. Turn off all thelights, spend a few minutes sitting as his cage and talking and pettinghim. It will help build trust.

-Carolyn

Thank you, I have no choice but to wait until he is ready.
I think I lost a bit of trust when I trust taking him out of the cage by force.

That happens. It's ok, you haven't done anything"unforgivable"! ;)Most bunnies resist getting pulled out ofthe cage, and when they "read" your intentions, the best defense is afar corner. It's nothing personal!

Especially if it's a hard cage to get him out of--some bunnies hategetting grabbed from the top, others don't like getting pulled out of asmallish door. Especially big bunnies, they HATE that momentary feelingof falling.

Also, he might havehad past history that might make him havetrouble adjusting. Do you know if he'd been handled a lot?

My boy Bub loves me, and is just fine when he's out of the cagerunning--but when he sees me reaching to pull him out of the cage, hetakes off. He's just being a stinker and is at a tough age.

A doe I took care of had a major problem that way--she had had verylittle handling and was utterly terrified. It took a lot longer than aweek for her to tolerate even just touching her head. One wrong moveand she'd cower just like your bunny. She eventually came around--mostbuns do.By the time she left she washanging allover me when I opened the cage.

This maybesounds cruel...but it's not. How much are youfeeding him? If he's getting unlimited food, cut him down to 1/2 cup(approx) pellets, depending on breed. A healthy hunger in the morningwhen you feed him is the quickest way to bond. Begging is good!Abig bunny can easily maintain a healthy weight on that much;a little bunny, even less. Only pregnant/nursing does and growingbabies should get unlimited food.

Whatever you do, don't give up! Be around the cage, talk to him, let him get used to your presence. Good luck!

Rose

Thank you for your replies. I think the problemis that the old owner did not pay much attention to the rabbit, thatswhy she gave it away. So I guess he is getting used to being handled orpaid attention to. Also it depends on his mood, in the morning he ismore active, so he looks outside of the cage.
Actually I am not sure what kind of breed he is, the old owner told mehe was a wild rabbit, but he is black colour, I never seen a wildrabbit with that colour, I thought they were all grey.

I agree! He just needs time toadjust. Rabbits seem to change daily. Be patient,and you'll be surprised at how much they come around.

AnnaS wrote:
He is1.5 years old, but we just got him a week ago from somebody. I triedtaking him outside, he was not too happy and tried to hold to the sidesof the cage. Then a second later he jumped back in the cage and hid inthe corner. I think how he is even more scared.
If you just got him a week ago, he's probablyjustnervous. Just give him some time andpatience. Leaving him alone in his cage is probably the bestthing you can do for him right now. Let him get used to hissurroundings and you.

You can get wild black rabbits, I used to see them regularly in the last place I lived though none round here.

I agree with what everyone else has said, give him time :)

I've got one seriously nervous rabbit even though she had the sameconditions as her brothers and sister. I left her alone as much aspossible for a couple of weeks while she adjusted and then read Buck'sbrilliant post about rubbing a rabbits ears which had an immediate goodeffect on the rest of my rabbits, and although it took a few days justto stroke her ears more than once she will sit and let me rub them forabout thirty seconds now. She is coming round to human company slowly.Don't give up on your little one, what's his name by the way?

To read about Buck's technique with rabbits and about other shyrabbitsjust type Stroking rabbits ears into the search box

Hope it helps :)

His name is Chernish, its in russian, its has to do with his colour.
Do rabbits know their names, do they recognize when you call them?

Some rabbits do learn to recognise their namesand come to them and some don't. I think you have more of a chance ofhim learning it since you've only got the one :)What doesChernish mean in Russian? I'm guessing black?

Its a cute form of black, usually used to namecats, dogs. I don't think they had rabbits there. From that name youknow for sure that the animal is black colour.Is there something likethat in english?

The only way my buns recognize their name is if it's followed by a loud scream. :D

Even though your question was answered, justthought I would pipe in here! Jezebel is a very social girl, but a lotof the time she would rather just laze in her boudoir(shelikes to think she is a fancy shmancy bunny and does NOTlive in a cage, peshaw!) and "look good" if I even thinkabout closing the cage door on her whilst she is in this mode, she getsquite perturbed...where as Jade races out every chance she gets tolounge on the tiles or harass Jezebel. I have to agree with everyonethough, some of them just do NOT like to be taken out of their "safe"environment, but never fear your little one will venture out with time.

Cher

I hope so, its probably a change for him to interact with people anyway, he is used to sitting in his cage by himself.

People often call their cats Sooty or Blackie to mean a black coloured animal so I guess that's the nearest equivalent. :)

Latest posts

Back