how to get bew from rew?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaya17

Reaction score
so ive been thinking of getting some BEW into my standard rex line, but all I have right now are REW, so if I were to get a vienna marked doe or a BEW doe would I get any BEW in my litter, is BEW the ressesive gene and would REW mask all of the BEWs? im no good with genetics so some help here would be really awsome

Yes, you would most likely get BEWs. I have wanted to add the Blue eyes to my line for a while. Generally if you breed a REW to a BEW you will get about half BEW and half REW. It is not positive though because of how strong the BEW background it on the BEW. If the BEW has lots of REWs in its background then generally there will be more REWs in the litter.

Normal "V" is incompletely dominant over "v", so mismarks are common.

"c" and "v" are different loci, so crossing the two produce a varieties of colors and patterns.

The following are photos of a REW x BEW Polish cross that someone showed me recently at a show. There was a sable mismark with lavenderone lavender eye/one 1/2 brown 1/2 china blue eyeand a pure black in the litter.

I almost adopted a dutch rabbit with the same problem. That doesn't always happen but it is possible. I personally find it adorable and cool, but thats just me :D

Skybunny11 wrote:
Yes, you would most likely get BEWs. I have wanted to add the Blue eyes to my line for a while. Generally if you breed a REW to a BEW you will get about half BEW and half REW. It is not positive though because of how strong the BEW background it on the BEW. If the BEW has lots of REWs in its background then generally there will be more REWs in the litter.
I thought that you had to have a Vc or Vm or a BEW in order to get BEWs. If you breed a REW to a BEW then the only way to get a BEW is if the REW carried or is covering BEW...am I wrong?? You cant just breed a REW and BEW and expect BEW in the litter. Someone please correct me if I wrong.

whaleyk98 wrote:
Skybunny11 wrote:
I thought that you had to have a Vc or Vm or a BEW in order to get BEWs. If you breed a REW to a BEW then the only way to get a BEW is if the REW carried or is covering BEW...am I wrong?? You cant just breed a REW and BEW and expect BEW in the litter. Someone please correct me if I wrong.
I guess you are correct in that. I am just going on what I would think, and what a breeder told me. I think I am more wrong, :rollseyes, I am not experienced with BEW at all. I only bred REW rabbits before.

thanks pam! that help alot, maybee i should get a BEW pair, i dont want to end up with non show quality rabbits that I dont know what to do with, does anyone know of someone selling BEW standard rex in my area?

Latest posts

Back