How to get 6week old bunny used to handling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedtheflame

Reaction score
So for those who dont know, my bunny is a rescued feral that i've had for several weeks now. I've had guinea pigs, hamsters and rats before but never a rabbit. For me, the usual way to 'tame' an animal was to just pick it up despite it's not wanting to be touched, it would get used to it after a while and eventually like being around people. How do i go about gettting my bunny used to people? She's not terribly skittish, and she'll come out of hiding when i talk to her and also i can pet her without her running away, but how long before i really start to see some personality come through? I'm eager for her to start coming up to the bars for attention and stuff.

But i hear all this about how rabbits are like cats, some dont like being held a lot and stuff and im worried that my idea/method of frequent handling will make things worse? so what do i do, hardly touch her and mostly watch, or can i pick her up lots, move her around to my bedroom and stuff and have her in my lap (being allowed to jump off if she wants to)

Try earning her trust with petting and hay....she'll eventually warm up to you. Just be patient with her.

I've have young bunnies and everyone has come around with just me talking to them, being with them, handling just a little each time. Since your baby is partially feral it might take a bit to gain her trust.

Patience and time wins all!

And IMHO, bunnies personalities really start getting a glimpse of personality at about 8 weeks. By 4 months teenage period hits and it could change again. But at that 1 year mark, boy do you see their personality shine.

K:)

Well, I've had my bunnies since they were 4 weeks old. They were barely weaned from their mom and had almost no social interactions.

I started off by just talking to them when they're in their cage (where they feel protected, so they will get used to my presence.) Also, remember when you approach your bunny to stay as calm as possible because they pick up emotions super well.

Then I began to pet them inside their cage. I let them sniff my hand for a while and when they don't run off, I attempt to pet them. For bunnies, especially young ones, I don't recommend picking them up because they are prey animals as well as ground animals. After a week or so of talking to them and petting them, and letting them out of their cage for an hour, then two hours, and onward, they start hopping near me asking for pets.

I don't recommend you handling your bunny too much. You should be patient and wait for your bunny to come to you. It's less stressful on the bunny side! Now, my bunnies love cuddling and pets. They even tolerate me picking them up without any struggling. They even anticipate it and follow me around the house when I let them out!

-Hope this helps!
-Bee

Q-tip is a weird bun. I got her when she was 4 weeks and she NEEDED to be handled all the time. All she wanted was snuggles. She'd come up to me for pettings,and then would demand to be picked up, so she was handled a lot from a very young age.

I would say that if your bunny is already used to you and comes up to you for petting and stuff, you can start to handle it, just not too much at once. Get him used to being held, and snuggled.

Funny story about that: I'd never had a baby bunny before Q, and I knew how hard it was to do nail trimmings if they weren't used to being handled and flipped, so from a young age, I started holding Qtip on her back. Now, it's the only way she'll allow herself to be held. She'll hop into my lap and roll over with her paws in the air until I snuggle her.

Latest posts

Back