How to feed a rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have hay in front of my guys. Since wework we feed their pellets in the am and check water and hay. When weget home we check hay and water leave out and they get a treat. I givethem each a little salad for bedtime snack. If you have a very youngbun you might want to do pellets twice but a small amount

bunty wrote:
Ialways have hay in front of my guys. Since we work we feed theirpellets in the am and check water and hay. When we get home we checkhay and water leave out and they get a treat. I give them each a littlesalad for bedtime snack. If you have a very young bun you might want todo pellets twice but a small amount
My rabbits is a baby, whatis pellets, because I give my baby bunny lettuce and carrots twice aday, in the morning at 7:00 and then in the afternoon at 4:00, alwayswith water, but I do not know if that is enough, if you speak Spanishtell me what is pellet?

I don't speak Spanish, but I can tell you that you can find rabbit pellets at most pet stores.

bunty wrote:
Iheard baby rabbits can not digest veggies and I do not give until theyare 4-5 months old. Does anyone have any info on this I amcurious
How do I know how old is my "bugs bunny"?

While we are on the subject of feeding rabbits I'djust like to ask a question. I haven't given Daisy any fresh food suchas carrots since the babies started eating solids a couple of days ago,due to the fact that something in my mindis telling me thatif the babies havefresh food it may upset them?! IF this isthe case I'd didn't want to risk it, but if its ok for them to have alittlethenI will put some in. Thought I would makesure as I am thinking thebabies should stick to pellets untiltheir stomachs have matured and maybe just give Daisy a tiny bit byhand so she doesn't miss out:).

Vickie, Daisy, Buster and Babies

In nature, our buns are crepuscular, meaning mostactive at dawn and dusk. That is when they do/did most oftheir foraging, and is the most logical times to feed them.If you're to feed once a day, I have read that late afternoon, earlyevening is the best, because they've had their nappy poohs are readyand willing to chow down.

Pellets are a feed mash that is extruded, or pushed through a machine,so that it exits in long spaghetti like strands. Thesestrands are chopped into separate pieces about 1/4 inch long, andbaked. Pellets make good rabbit feed because theiringredients are specially designed to provide a balanced dietfor rabbits.

Pellets are not so common, nor readily available in many Europeancountries, therefore, these countries are more liable to feed rabbitsgreens, vegetables, and home "wastage" products. There ismuch to be said for either diet and one must use what one deems betterfor their own rabbits, or what is available in your locale.

Buck

Regarding buns' ages. I just read in anold timer rabbit book that there were some bones in a rabbits legs thatdon't fully develop until 10 months of age. I have to crossreference his scientific names for the bones with a labeled rabbitskeleton before that informaton is of any concrete use to me.

Young rabbits have "baby" nails that are like little needles.As they get older, the nails become fuller and coarser looking.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. Lots of energy, binkying, and mischievousness are often indicators of a young bunny.

Buck

Buck, Yes Iagree in european countriespellets aren't going to be readilly available and obviously theysurvivejust as well onveggie things.

However I'm still atconcerned about feeding them to mybabiesasthey are only just on solids and justhaving pellets. Do you think that I should stick to that until they areabout 8-10 weeks (they are only almost 4 at the moment and still alsofeeding from Mummy). Last thing I want is for them to have an upsetstomach at such a young age

Yes, most of what I have read indicates waitinguntil the buns are two, three months old before introducing greens andveggies. Seems like there is a very real danger of producingserious and life threatening illness if the buns are too young.

Buck

Elf has a bin offood and she just eats when she wants. She's not in competition withany other bunnies for her food, so she doesn't wolf it all down at onepoint in the day or another. Some days she'll eat more than others. Wemake sure she has fresh water available at all times (got a new waterbottle this past weekend that is working out great), and Timothy hay aswell. This is probably not the best of methods, but it seems to workfor us. :)

Edit: OH! I almost forgot. I also foundthe "Yesterday's News" litter and am eager to see if there's adifference in odor, etc. from shredded paper.

Thanks for that Buck - I'm glad I went with my instincts - Never thought it could cause so much damage though!

Elf Mommy I think you method is great - I don't give my rabbits a setamount, I make sure there is plenty of fresh water and food everyday,but I tend to give them what they will eat - sometimes I feed themtwice sometimes just once -I figure that if they want it theywill eat it. It works for me and my rabbits are fit and healthy. Busterstill has veg in his diet about every other day as a treat as well aspellets and hay.

marthabueno, you can translate thispage here for free. just copyand paste the sitesaddress(http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=419&forum_id=1)into the box under where it says "translate a webpage" and be sure to select "english to spanish" where it says "selectfrom and to languages."also, i might suggest that you try& find a vet that sees rabbits so you can find out your bunnysage- and learn more about diet & whatnot.

Latest posts

Back