How to deter a determined bun...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
We just recently added an addition to our family.We have purchased a Flemish Giant buck from a woman who breeds SandyFlemish. He is absolutely gorgeous, plus has the greatest tempermentever. He love's my children, even my 20 month old! Love's the dogs,just a great bun. One problem though... he likes to jump on the couchand spray. Since he is to young to neuter (only two-months), I am notsure what to do. I have tried telling him no and then placing him backin his cage, this did not work, I tried a spray bottle, this did notwork, I tried thumping, this did not work, I tried yelling, this alsoseemed to have no effect. I am at my wits end... I don't want to haveto keep him out of the living room but right now I have had to put aplastic drop cloth on my couch when he is out. Does anyone have anystubborn buns that can relate to this problem? Please help me out ifyou can...

Thanks,

Fergi's mom

Short of doing what you're doing, I'm at aloss. He's acting very territorial andsexual. Is there anything that may be triggering thisbehavior, like females around, even the humantype?In spite of "loving the dogs, perhaps, hefeels it necessary to establish his dominance over the sofa.Have the dogs usedthe sofa a lot in the past, hence, theirscent might be imbedded therein? Any of thedogsfemale and setting him off? Look for some trigger event thatmight be initiating this behavior from him.

Try covering the sofa witha blanket that has a "neutral"scent to see if that makes a difference. I'm just stumblingaround in the dark with this one, as you are.

Good luck with it. I would hope eventualneutering eliminates your problem if nothing else worksl

Buck

hi fergi

i also have a flemish fawn incolor and he is due to be neutered next week......ihave gone through the spraying of the furniture and havelearned that while he is out i have a hospital pad covering thecouch i believe he started doing this toshow his dominace towards the cats (even tho they aremale) we got him a american fuzzy and netherlandplaymates and doesnt spray the furnitureanymore just likes to spraythem(hehehehe) dont think there is much u cando until he is neutered goodluck!!!!isnt the flemish just the best bunny he issoooooooo gentle and loving and cuddley its toosweet cant wait to get more!!!!!

Donna

Are you sure he is too young to neuter? Sincehe's obviously acting sexually mature, then he may be a candidate forcastration. One concern with vets is that a young rabbit is too small,but since he is a Flemish, then he would not have a small body sosensitive to anesthetics.

I just called my vet and he said that we have towait regardless of size or apparent sexual maturity so I guess I willjust continue with the drop clothes on the couch and keep telling himno. Thank you guys for replying with your ideas. Buck, he is surroundedby females, bunny, dog, and human although the dogs are not allowed onthe couch either, it is pretty new and cost a pretty penny! At leastthis appears to be the only place he feels necessary to mark, keep myfingers crossed it stays that way. I made him an appointment for whenhe is four months!!

Thanks again for your input,:D

Fergi's mom

p.s. Beans mom, Flemish are awesome pets, he is such a "gentle giant"we have named him Big Ben in honor of the clock, although he is alsogentle ben, after the big bear!

You might try asquirt gun instead of a squirt bottle. It worked very well for us withour bunny, cat and several dogs. Since they come in all sizes andpowers you can have a smaller one that you keep in your pocket, or ifyou are in the same room watching tv or something keep a big one thatdelivers a punch! Really let him have it with one of those supersoakers, holler "no" at the same time and see if it doesn't make adifference. Sebastian would run like mad when he saw the water gun comeout!

Latest posts

Back