How to deal with bite wounds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninchen

Reaction score
Bonding session went bad.
First Cinnamon chased every other bunny around.
He was a tyrann for days.
(I didn't worry about the others getting biten, because Cinnamon has no incisors)
But over night everything changed.
Now he was chased and I took him out of the hutch to examine him.
He has lots of small scratches and bites all over his body.
But what really concerns me is the bite at his nose: Pus is already coming out.

I tried to desinfect it with Betaisodona.
Should I open the crust, to get all the puss out?

What else can I do ?
I could buy some other stuff for desinfection, like some spray.

I seperated him from the others.
I want him to get some rest.
Does he have to visit the vet...she can not do much more than clean the wound, I guess.
If it won‘t heal, he will have to go to the vet, of course.

I'm assuming it's not something that might need stitches.

I would clean it out really well and then put an antibiotic ointment on it. I use neosporin, but I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for you. Make sure it doesn't have a pain reliever in it because that's bad for them if they ingest it.

I would also suggest maybe giving some pain relief, like Metacam. The vet can prescribe anti biotics, don't forget, and if there is puss then that is probably what he needs.

Flashy wrote:
I would also suggest maybe giving some pain relief, like Metacam. The vet can prescribe anti biotics, don't forget, and if there is puss then that is probably what he needs.
If there is already pus you will need an oral or injectable antibiotic; it would not be a bad idea anyway as some of the scratches would not yet have been scabbed over and you wouldn't know where they are to clean them...

Yes, with pus he needs an antibiotic. Don't open up the wound itself, just keep it clean on the surface if any pus comes out.

When Stuart got his bite on his shoulder from Slatey, I was fortunate in that it was a smooth, clean incision that only penetrated the skin, rather than the muscle. The vet suggested that it would heal readily, and did not necessitate stitches... a ragged bite into the muscle would be far more severe.

Remember, no hydrogen peroxide!
I can't personally speak to the nose issue...

We went to the vet in the morning.

(Safari doesn't let me open this site...I had to find another laptop with other browsers).

Cinamongot two injections, antibiotics and something anti-inflammatory.

We got metacam and traumeel.

The crust opened, while the vet cleaned it- it looksawful,an opening pea-sized filled with pus.

He sleeps now.

I'm glad you took him :)

Is he going to stay on a course of anti-biotics?

I'm also glad he is on pain killers too, that can't be nice for the poor little fellow.

Is he ok in himself?

The antibiotics should work for a few days.

If his wound isn‘t better on Monday, we have to visit the vet again.

He is ok, he eats and sleeps.

He seems to enjoy being without other rabbits now.
b9e29df5.jpg

Poor sweet bunny. I'm glad he got injectible antibiotics, but worry that the dosing may not be enough. I hope it does clear up with this treatment, since it seems to be a smaller abscess. However, the dosing scheme for most injectible antibiotics is usually every other day for 2 weeks. The painkillers should help him out too. He is so adorable and I hope he gets over this soon!

Ninchen wrote:
The antibiotics should work for a few days.

If his wound isn‘t better on Monday, we have to visit the vet again.

He is ok, he eats and sleeps.

He seems to enjoy being without other rabbits now.
b9e29df5.jpg
that is the cutest picture! im glad he's doing better

Today his nose looks like this:

a4e1ed8d.jpg

fca2d0ff.jpg

799bac6a.jpg

What do you think ?
He doesn't get any more meds.

I think it still looks slightlyred and slightly swollen ; I would at least call the vet and ask for more meds. I am just looking at the picture
Do you think that it looks red and slightlyswollen ?

When it is healing it will fade considerably each day and you will be able to tell each day that it looks better; if you think that it does not look infected at all then you could wait a day and see; if it is still infected it will look worse tmorrow.

Latest posts

Back