how to Critique a holland lop???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually working on a website exactly to serve thi purpose, but it won't be done for awhile.

Your best bet is to buy the standard of perfection book from the ARBA. It gives you the entire, recognized breed standard for each and every breed. :)

Here is another great link - I'm going to quote from part of it too:

http://www.hlrsc.com/Articles/breedingandculling.html

[line]From the website:

When you are looking at your Holland try to visualize what is not there, as well as what is. It is easy to see faults that are there, narrow head, long muzzle, poor ear carriage, pinched hips, etc. Looking for what is not there is a little harder, but will easily show you flatness of crown, unfilled cheeks, sloping hindquarters, incorrect topline, and other body faults.
I cull my Hollands at 5 to 6 weeks (on teeth and disqualifications only), 12 to 13 weeks, 5 months, and 10 to 12 months of age.
After 5 to 6 weeks of age, most Hollands go through an ugly "teenage" phase. I try not to look at them during this time frame. By 12 to 13 weeks of age, they seem to again blossom and can be culled on type. One needs to remember at this age they still haven't reached their head potential, but most body faults are easy to see.
To evaluate the head, check the profile for proper curvature. A good head will be round in every direction: side profile, front profile, and top profile. There should be nothing extra at the lower muzzle and no flat planes. I try to visualize drawing an upside down triangle on the Hollands face. The two side lines of the triangle are the lines between the eyes and the tip of the nose. The long bar of the triangle is between the corners of the eyes. This bar between the eyes should be longer than the other two lines. Look for good full cheeks also.
When you look and feel the body at this age, a good topline, a late start (when the spine is flat across the shoulders before it curves up across the back), undercut hindquarters, and pinched hips are already apparent. There should be a very slight taper from the shoulders to the hindquarters. Remember that shoulders increase in width with age.
Another aspect which helps me cull is to observe the bone. You can check the bone best by looking at the rear feet. Are they short and wide, or are they long and thin? A bunny with long thin feet and legs will almost always have a long and narrow body and will usually be long in the muzzle. You want the shortest, thickest, and heaviest bone that you can get. Be sure to also check for length of bone. The front legs should be short and stocky, not long and fine.
At five months most Hollands are showing their true show potential and by 10 months to one year, their heads are beginning to broaden. This is when senior Holland heads begin to really shape up. This process will continue throughout the life of the Holland, which is why the heads on 2 to 3 year old bucks look so much better than on younger rabbits.

[line]
For those who are not breeders - please understand that culling means to remove from your breeding/show herd. Many times breeders will "cull" their animals by selling them as pets - there is no doubt in my mind that my Tiny was a "cull" from the herd because he was not show stock or breeding stock.

The point of sharing from this website was to share points for critiquing holland lops and not to start a discussion on culling even though it was in the article.

Latest posts

Back