How to bond with my bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to let the bunnies set the tone, letting them come to me, as opposed to my partner, who just picks them up and cuddles them. Annoyingly, that seems to be working for him, whereas they barely come to me at all. Well, the gray one does--he has renamed her Snookums, which makes me shudder--and she'll say hi before shooting off around the room. Cynnamon has bonded with Snooki, but won't willingly come out of the cage at all. She will for my partner, but the second she sees me walk into the room, she rockets into the hideyhole. Today she bit me as I was putting the water bowl back into the cage. I thought she was trying to sniff me, so I held still to let her, and got nipped instead. She didn't break the skin, and it didn't even really hurt (I have big dogs who like to wrestle, so I think my skin is impervious), except my feelings. She's not been hurt by anyone in my house, my kids don't get near the rabbits unless there's an adult present to monitor interactions, the dogs don't get to see the rabbits unless the bunnies are safely locked in their cage. I realize Cynnamon is only 3 months old and has only been here for a few days, but is her continued fear normal? I'm not sure how to put her at ease, or how to create a bond with her. Snooki is the opposite end of the spectrum, fearless and friendly, no problems with her at all!

if you know what treat is her favorite you could make your partner stop giving the bun that treat and just be the one to give it to them xD sometimes bonding with a bunny can take a while, it just takes patience. Its important that if your bunny seems very nervous around you that you do everything near them slowly and cautiously and dont approach the bunny unless it wants to be approached. and also you could interact with your other bunny and let your shy bun see that the other rabbit isn't scared of you and they may see that you aren't a threat

I use cilantro and rub their head and cheek along the jaw. You also may need to let them know that you are the alpha or else they will try to train you, and they are very good at training humans.

Latest posts

Back