How to bond 2 x 2 bonded bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mardi

Reaction score
Hi. We have had Daisy (girl, aged 4) and Sushi (boy, aged 5) for five years. They are very bonded. Three months ago we got another pair of very bonded bunnies from the local shelter - 2 girls (Luna and Rosie, sisters aged 2). All 4 bunnies are neutered / spade. Over the past three months we have been slowly trying to bond all 4 bunnies as ideally we would like them to play / live / sleep together. Both pairs of bunnies have their own huge sleeping quarters and they all have a huge outside area to run around during the day (separated by a fence - the pairs can see each other but can't get at each other). We put both pairs of bunnies in their separate sleeping quarters each night. We regularly bring each pair inside for cuddles and play time with their humans. Sometimes we bring all 4 bunnies inside to see how they feel about each other. We always stay with them - however usually run after each other / they nip each other with fur being pulled out. What can we do to being able to leave them all together by themselves? Thanks so much in advance. Mardi (Melbourne, Australia).

Thank you. We have watched this video over and over.

Is there another way? Just a bit scared of putting them all in a small cage.

Thank you. We have watched this video over and over.

Is there another way? Just a bit scared of putting them all in a small cage.
There must be more than one way for sure, this video is just one successful bonding you don't have to blindly follow it of course. I also have a few bonded pairs and want to bond them into two larger groups and I don't push myself just keep watching them for months and thinking how to do it best. From my experience I can plan a lot but when I start it all goes differently, I just give it lots of time and focus and watching any changes in them and all episodes and use any opportunity, I can change tactics on the go, been really flexible. So I just can't really give one plan so anyone could follow. Also I still have them in pairs/trios and my situation is different since I have more rabbits so I want to bond them into two groups and I am thinking of joining them by their habits, using toilet and hobbies, I have a few diggers and a few rabbits who are religiously using their toilets and hate any digging and mess, so I think if I'd put them all together they can get frustrated and this can cause conflicts. Maybe I am wrong. I had a few fights over using toilets already so not sure yet how to avoid them or maybe they have to sort it out themselves.

I will watch your thread to see if other members can give you some more suggestions. I liked the video posted above and I think that I could use some tricks as well.

Thanks Zuppa, We used to have horses..... and I still swear that horses are easier than bunnies !!! I think I need to be more focussed on their individual behaviours. The dynamic of 4 bunnies is 11 (my engineering friend told me this) -so there are 11 different types of dynamics / relationships I have to sort through.... PHEW :)

Thanks Zuppa, We used to have horses..... and I still swear that horses are easier than bunnies !!! I think I need to be more focussed on their individual behaviours. The dynamic of 4 bunnies is 11 (my engineering friend told me this) -so there are 11 different types of dynamics / relationships I have to sort through.... PHEW :)
I believe you'll get there in the end 🙃

Also forgot I meant to say about small cage. When bonding it is actually good to limit their space, I've bonded a few pairs this year it's been a bonding year for me so far, and I find that limiting them for a few days/week before starting bonding would really help/speed the process. Surely you know that it must be new neutral territory for all of them and I can tell I am using a small playpen for first sessions and I just completely cover floor with a large piece of cardboard so they have new floor and cover pens walls with blankets so that way you can create a new territory anywhere, it really works for me.

Also forgot I meant to say about small cage. When bonding it is actually good to limit their space, I've bonded a few pairs this year it's been a bonding year for me so far, and I find that limiting them for a few days/week before starting bonding would really help/speed the process. Surely you know that it must be new neutral territory for all of them and I can tell I am using a small playpen for first sessions and I just completely cover floor with a large piece of cardboard so they have new floor and cover pens walls with blankets so that way you can create a new territory anywhere, it really works for me.

Does bonding in a neutral place mean a place they have never been before?

Our 'older' bunnies have been in the laundry (but not for at least 6 months). Would that still be seen as neutral?

Because we have had Daisy and Sushi for so long, I feel any place in our house would be seen as 'theirs'.

Our 'older' bunnies have been in the laundry (but not for at least 6 months). Would that still be seen as neutral?

Because we have had Daisy and Sushi for so long, I feel any place in our house would be seen as 'theirs'.

One of the new girls - Luna, is very very submissive. Always put her head down / very still and quiet..but sometimes just lashes out.

THANK YOU so much for responding and helping. You are so amazing.

A neutral place tends to be some place where the buns haven't been, but if you don't have one you could try to disinfect the area with vinegar spray and water, hopefully that should help it become a more neutral area since there isn't any buns' scent there

Hi People. Just wanted to let you know that my 14 year old son has bonded the 2 pairs of bunnies. He used the method from the video and it took about 2 weeks (he actually sat in the bathroom with the 4 bunnies for 14 hours straight one day). They are all now fully bonded although is definitely 'top dog'. Thanks so much for all your help.

Hi People. Just wanted to let you know that my 14 year old son has bonded the 2 pairs of bunnies. He used the method from the video and it took about 2 weeks (he actually sat in the bathroom with the 4 bunnies for 14 hours straight one day). They are all now fully bonded although is definitely 'top dog'. Thanks so much for all your help.
That's fantastic, I am very happy for you, and well done to your son :)

Back