How soon will it be before I can tell my babies gender?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie

Reaction score
My Dutch had her first litter 14 days ago. They are a healthy bunch of seven! How soon will it be before i can get them sexed? (I'm not very good at it so an old rabbit expert friend of mine will do it. but how soon???!!)

2 weeks is the earliest I've ever been able to tell - mind you I did get one wrong. Usually they start to look pretty much like boys and girls from a few weeks onwards but still be cautious as the gender fairy likes to visit.

i have been able to guess gender at birth . . .

but normally to get all of them correct, i would wait till 3 weeks. . .and if you haven't had a lot of practice, then i would be checking again at 6 weeks for a better idea. . .

I've been raising rabbits for five years and Is till have so much trouble with this! I had one rabbit, Cobbler, whom I was CERTAIN was a girl at 8 weeks. I was so happy I waslike "oh yay, I finally got a doe instead a buck out of the litter!!" and then like 3 weeks later, I was checking my rabbits out, and I found out SHE was a HE!!! I was so mad.

So, does the study on this actually help you to tell? I have one rabbit at home (I mean I'm keeping it if it's a boy or a girl, so it really doesn't matter) that I really would like to know the gender of she/he's 8 weeks. I know, I'm horible...

You have to look at the genitals.There's information in the Bunny101 section on sexing bunnies:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12064&forum_id=17

It's hard to do at a young age because their genitals are so small,it's hard to see the difference between a penis and a vagina when theyare so small. Even at an older age it can be difficult withlittle experience.

--Dawn

I have been lucky so far, I have only had oneinstance where I said, yes, it's girl and was wrong. I was sending thisrabbit to a new home, and they said they wanted a doe to avoid issueslike spraying. I pulled a few out, said ok, this one's a doe, and theytook it home. A couple of months later, I get this email: She's humpingour legs!!! OOPS! :shock:

Latest posts

Back