How soon is too soon to bring a rabbit out of it's cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita1234

Reaction score
I know they need exercise every day, but I'm also seeing that you're not supposed to handle them the first two days.

She doesn't mind me petting her, she sniffs my hand, and she's eats out of my hands already. She's a little skittish and if there's any loud noise or sudden movement she'll run, so I'm not sure if she's like being out in a playpen at this point. Which is more important; her exercise or her getting used to her habitat? How much interaction is too much at this point?

I think it really depends on the rabbit. Some settle in much faster than others. I would not force anything for the first few days, but if they are willing then you don't need to keep them in the cage.
You could try opening the cage so she can come out if she wants. However, not all rabbits know they can come out on their own, so it can take time and some help to show them.
Getting her used to the new environment in important. Most rabbits aren't going to run around in an area they don't know anyway.

Thanks! Yeah I know some bunnies don't like you even touching them the first few days but I'm petting her and everything, I just don't want her to bite me and then take even longer to get used to me. I don't thinks she knows how to get out of her cage though, so I don't know if it's better to let her try by herself or help her. I've never had a rabbit or cared for one before, so I'm pretty lost right now:p

Is the flooring around her cage wood? If so try putting a towel down and seeing if maybe she'll come down!
Good for you for asking and wanting to do the right thing for your rabbit!

Jj

Is that her in your avatar? If so what kind of bedding is she on? If its aspen then your fine but if that's pine or ceder you need to change it asap. The natural oils in the wood that give it its famous scent are damaging to a rabbits lungs...

I have aspen bedding. Thanks for the tip! I did a lot of research on basic stuff but I'm lost when it comes to the rabbit personlity stuff! I put a towel on her ramp because it's a wire door and she had a hard time getting down and she hopped out and sniffed me and checked me out so I think it's a good sign:)

Rabbits tend to do things on their time, not ours. We've had extremely shy buns that took a lot of time before they became trusting, but they turned out to be really great companions. Bambi wouldn't let you near her at first but now she follows me around and bumps and scratches my legs for attention. Our little Charlene was another one that was afraid at first but became a very friendly bunny over time. Others were like that right at the start. That's the problem with older bunnies and all of ours are rescues, so we don't know what happened in the past or their ages, but we have the "here and now" to focus on and that's all that counts.

Hi and welcome!
If you plan to litter train your bunny, you actually don't need bedding, only litter in the litter box. Otherwise she'll be confused, as its all basically the same to them. You can try to put fleece down but it will likely get soiled, or grass mats work well too instead of just plastic.

Both of my bunnies had 100% access to their pens from day 1, (1 actually only has a pen, no cage) but the one that has a cage I put a grass mat over the ramp/door and left it open to the pen all the time.

To work on bonding, sit in the pen with her and read or watch Tv or something, basically ignoring her. I used to sit with a few carrot shreds so once they approached me, I'd give them a shred :)

Thanks so much that was a great tip! She came right out and she's going aroung sniffing us right now! I think she's playing too she keeps darting behind her cage and running around. She's also doing this weird thumping thing with her foot..Is that normal? hahah She's so brave:) I havent tried picking her up yet but she seems so calm and happy!

As for litter training, I have aspen bedding and then litter in her litter box. i listened to the lady in the pet store for this, I'm not sure if she was wrong or not. Should I just completely get rid of the bedding? I mean it's different than the stuff in her litter box, but I have no idea how to go about this haha:)

Yup, completely get rid of the bedding, they don't need it :D Rabbits in general don't like being held or picked up, its a self defense thing, but you can work on getting her used to it for maintenance reasons if you want. I don't ever pick one of my girls up, she is just really uncomfortable with it.
Post 10 here -http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=68797&forum_id=93
shows my buns set up :D

I actually had soup in my possession when she was 6 months old. Didnt like people at all. I got her from a horrible rabbit breeder. She had a pin she couldn't even turn around in. So when i got her she was very unsocial. But after spending all my time with her. So when she turned 1 i could pick her up. She loves being picked up. It just took her time to get use to the area and me. I spoiled her though. So she is a spoiled brat now. I just let her do her own thing until she was comfortable with me. I used pine bedding and a litter pan to train soup. She picked it up right away so i dont have tips for that. AND is cedar really bad? ive been using pine bedding for the last 10 years and recently switched to cedar. If so i really need to switch it back.

Yep ceder is pretty bad. That "weird thumping thing" is her way of warding of danger and trying to sound big and tough lol. But Fraggles does it for fun when she is playing racer bunny. Its so cute when baby bunnies thump. So Scary lol :)

Good to know i never would have thought to ask. Soup thumps her feet when she doesnt get her way. Which is starting to get more and more frequent the only time i ever know when soup is in pain or uncomfortable is shell scream. Ive only heard it twice in my life and i never wanna hear it again.

questions tho? thinking about it one of those time was when she got her foot stuck in between her cage. And that broke her nail on her front paw.. and when it started growing back it grew back upside down. It doesnt bother her but it looks like it might be alittle uncomfortable. Can you declaw a rabbit. and what would you have to do to do that?

Latest posts

Back