How Old Were Your Bunnies When They Passed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raspberry82

Reaction score
Sorry if this brings up sad memories for anyone, but my bunny Max is just turning 7 and I'm wondering what the average age is that bunnies live to. I thought it was 10 yrs old, but there seems to be quite a range! Just trying to semi-prepare myself if possible!

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if I'd be any help but 7 months and 5 months.
Some rabbits live up to 13 years wheras others live up to 2 from diseases. the SPCA says you should be prepared for looking after your rabbit for 10-15 years. 15 years being very unlikely but still possible.
Hope this helps!
Jj

Frost is the only bunny I have lost and she was 5 years old, but that was an unfortuanate bout of GI Stasis that took her.

Sophie was around 6 or 7. She was a rescue, so I don't really know how old she was when I got her.
Sean was maybe 2.5. Again he was a rescue and I don't know how old he actually was.
Penelope was around 3.5.

:hearts Thank you everyone. I'm crossing my fingers for 14 :big wink:. Was monsters pretty debilitated by that age or still moving around pretty good?

Do the larger breeds have shorter lifespans than smaller breeds? Like dogs?

Speckles was 2 weeks from turning 7 (she had back leg paralysis etc) and Jelly (my head tilt sweetie) had just turned 7 about 3 weeks before..

On a side note I always claimed my Jelly would outlive all other bunnies and live till like 17. Didn't happen. =(

Hoppy was around seven, not too sure because she (like all my bunnies) was an adult when adopted. We had her for four and a half years and towards the end she had problems with GI stasis and finaly got it realy bad and could not save her (she was a dwarf bunny).
Clover is 7, maybe 8 and still doing very well, he is a medium size bunny.

Stockton was 10. Nik-Nik was 8 months. Milli was 9. Bun-Bun was 7. Lilli was 8. Mr. B was 10. Molly was 3. Ted was 10. Stewart was 5. Charlene was 12. Hoss was 12. Coal is still going string and she's 13. Still have 10 that range from 5 to 13.

Pebbles a Netherland Dwarf, was almost 6 when she passed.
She was very active and very friendly to all the bunnies she had met in her time.
It was later in her life that she had problems with several bouts of head tilt. Different medications helped cure her, but soon they became ineffective as I had to find new antibiotics.
More complications occurred as she had problems with sneezing, and her nose was always plugged.
So the time Pebbles had was a struggle, but she made the most of it.

Bebe a Holland Lop, is over 8 years old and still going strong. She has never been sick, (only a slight reaction to ivermectem for a treatment of mites). She was very close to Pebbles when they bonded.

Starbuck, Clover and Opie were all around four or so when they passed.That was back in the 80s. I didn't know much about rabbits back then.

Toy, my Jersey Wolly, was about 10 when he passed. I at least had him neutered back in 1994.

Goobie who I had from about two months was five when she passed. I have no idea from what.

My others have lived to be around 5 - 8. Some I had no idea how old they were when I got them.Smitten was around5-6. Simon and Bono were at least 8, probably older.

my first baby bun marilyn only lived until she was 1 and a half because she had organ problems being taken away from her mum too young. her liver gave way and she couldn't wee or poo so she had terrible fits towards the end. it was the most horrific thing to ever see.

Thank you so much for all of the replies! :) Good to know. I give Max high quality filtered water and organic veggies so no pesticides/herbicides, I hope that keeps him going strong for a long time to come.

Bunnies really do become like our children so it's nice they can stick around for quite a while! :)

My past buns lived to 7 for Lexi, 7 for Mac, I think Charlie might still be alive or could have passed at 8 (lost touch with the woman who adopted her), and Thatcher is still alive and is 7-8 years old. All were holland or mini lops (and 1 mix).

Um I am not exactly sure but the vet guesses brownie was 2 or 3 when he passed. He had a seizure(we dont know what from) and didnt make it :( he was a giant lop

I miss my brownie :(

winter001.jpg

Back