How old is too old for first-time breeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
*posting on behalf of another member*

Hello! One of my friends has a Lionhead doe (3 years old) and a Jersey Wooly male (4 years old) she would like to breed. Are these 2 rabbits too old for a first time breeding, considering they are dwarfs? I personally think they are TOO old (because they are both virgins) and there's too much risk for the mama! Besides fused bones, stillborns, or a kit getting stuck during labor, are there other problems that could occur, causing the doe to have difficulties or worse??

Looking for people with experience, who could share their stories and if it is possible to breed these bunnies and have no complications / problems occur. She lives nearby to a vet, but really doesn't want to lose her pet doe during labor. I talked to her about having mixed breed rabbits, but she has a plan and is positive she will find good homes for them despite this. Please positive comments only! Thank you 💕

I wouldn't risk it myself. You might have a chance at living kits, but because of the doe's age she is likely to be overweight and have a small litter which further complicates birthing. Maybe if she wasn't a pet rabbit you could try it, but the chances of something going wrong and too high for somebody to try it with a beloved pet (not to mention that there's no reason to be making mixed breeds like that)

I wouldn't risk it myself. You might have a chance at living kits, but because of the doe's age she is likely to be overweight and have a small litter which further complicates birthing. Maybe if she wasn't a pet rabbit you could try it, but the chances of something going wrong and too high for somebody to try it with a beloved pet (not to mention that there's no reason to be making mixed breeds like that)
thank you, I will let her know. Being a breeder yourself, have you ever had personal experience with an older doe (2+ years) having a successful first litter?

I don’t think it’s a good idea either. We always did our first breedings no later than 1 year of age, and preferably around 6-7 months. At 3 years it would be high risk for a first litter, and your friend could lose her during kindling.

The youngest doe that I've had a successful first litter with was about 2.5, and she was kept in prime condition to show for all that time (so no extra fat at all). She ended up having 2 other litters after that, one of which she also fostered a litter of a belgian hares along with her own litter. She was a great mother
But most the time when I bred a doe over 2 years for her first litter she either doesn't take or has a small DOA litter, not a living litter

The youngest doe that I've had a successful first litter with was about 2.5, and she was kept in prime condition to show for all that time (so no extra fat at all). She ended up having 2 other litters after that, one of which she also fostered a litter of a belgian hares along with her own litter. She was a great mother
But most the time when I bred a doe over 2 years for her first litter she either doesn't take or has a small DOA litter, not a living litter
okay, thanks for that! is there a high chance that the doe would die during labor, or other complications that would force the owner to take her to the vet? if the doe is not in much risk, I think my friend would like to go ahead with the breeding. but then again, she does not want to risk the momma bunnies life obviously...and she would not be having multiple litters at the same time, so if the doe was not a good mom she couldn't foster the babies.

It’s a risk your friend needs to decide if it’s worth taking. She could get a rabbit savvy vet to check her out and if she’s in good shape then at least she can make a more informed decision whether to try or not. Even at that there is still some risk.

I wouldn't do it. Maybe if it was a larger breed it might be less risky, but not a lionhead - especially if the lionhead wasn't bred for show, pet quality lionheads often tend to have pinched hindquarters that make birthing even more difficult. Even when I did have luck with older does they were himalayans, who had narrow heads and no dwarf gene so there was less risk involved.

Latest posts

Back