How often should I handle my new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnow

Reaction score
I have had Minnow the Holland Lop for three weeks now. He is 1.5 years old. He will sometimes jump up on the couch and hang out with my husband and myself. I pick him up for snuggling at least once per day. He was stuggling and kicking pretty bad but has gotten better.

He seems to have no fear of dogs and will jump up on both of my laying or sleeping dogs (and one is a husky:shock:) But I watch them.

But he does not want to stay in my lap too long. What kind of petting do bunnies like? Should I continue to pick him up frequently?

Also is one carrot a day too much for a treat? He has pellets and all the hay he can eat and I give him one full veggie a day.

A carrot a day should be all right.

For most of my rabbits, rubbing their nose right between their eyes is usually their favorite attention. But, I do have one buck that does NOT like being touched anywhere on his face, ears or shoulders, so I have to pet him on the rump only.

As for picking him up, if he's struggling, there's a chance he could hurt you or himself, and it could be a rather bad hurt. If he's to the point where he's not struggling when you pick him up, and you're doing so in a secure fashion (supporting his rear end while lifting), then go ahead and continue to do so every day. HOWEVER, if he is still struggling, you need to step back a little. Try sitting with him on the floor for a while, maybe offering treats each time he puts a paw on you. Once he starts coming to you, climbing on you like he does the dogs, try picking him up. If he struggles, hold him securely, but not tightly and DON'T drop him. Sometimes it also helps to tuck their heads between your elbow and waist to create a kind of blind hidey hole.

One carrot a day is a nice treat, and if he struggles every time you pick him up, try supporting him more. If he continues to struggle even then hold him for a few seconds to show that you wont hurt him, then put him back and try again later.

Also, check his eyes while your picking him up, and determine whether hes genuinely scared, or if he just doesn't like being picked up. His eyes will be wide and round f hes scared.

I think he is scared because his heat beats fast. But he calms down quickly. I'm working on picking him up properly. He only scrambles some of the time. Other times he's just fine. He also layes close to me sometime too so he's not afraid of me, just afraid of heights perhaps and I don't blame him :)

ETA: I see you are from Gatineau. I use to live in Wakefield!!!

Latest posts

Back