How often do you check butts and teeth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
Just curious as to how often, it at all people check their bunny's teeth and butts (in case of messy bottoms), especially in the case of people with loads like me! My vet emphasizes how important it is to do all the time but i wonder if it is just my vet as i have never seen posts on here about it before. I check their butts once a day in the winter and twice a day in the summer, and their teeth i do usually once a week but everyday if i have had anything die and then i am over cautious! It takes me about 5 mins to check my 19 because they are so used to it they just put up with it!

I only check butts if I smell something bad. So I guess maybe that's a visual check but obviosuly when I'm near them I do a smell check :p and go by that.

Teeth wise I check them if there is any sort of sign that there might be a problem. I seem to pick up things before most people would (according to my vet) so whilst that may sound neglectful it works for me and mine (And I have 17).

Hey, how are your myxi bunnies?

I only have three, so it's easy to check my bunnies. They're all okay with being held, so everyone's butt gets checked at least once a day... I don't know if I've often intentionally looked to see if they have poopy butts, it's just something I'd notice in the process of picking them up. As for teeth, I usually check twice a week, sometimes more often. Rory and Phoebe Mae are somewhat prone to having their teeth wear at a slant, so I check theirs a lot.

I check butts whenever I pick them up, which is every day or 2. (Mouse and Snowy hate being picked up, so I don't do it as often as the others, who get picked up daily.) Usually I don't have to turn them over to know, you can just smell if something's up? Mouse, Chalk and Dotty are always impeccably clean, so I never worry about them. Barney and Snowy get very occasional pooy butt so I guess I make more of a point of actually looking at their bums and checking them but it's rarely a problem.

Teeth I check much less often- whenever I fancy my chances at being able to see them! I guess what Flashy said, when I feel there is a problem. Luckily *touch wood* there hasn't been any teeth problems in this house so far, apart from Snowy having slight spurs last year, which we caught very early, and which luckily haven't resurfaced again yet :)

I check them when I clip nails, every month or two. But I'll also check their rears if I smell something, notice something in the litter box, or if I think I see something while I'm laying on the floor with them.

Lola really doesn't like to be held but I'll try to feel her bum when I do pick her up to take her out of her cage. Things tend to get stuck back there. I also check really good when I clip her nails.

How do you check teeth? I can't get a peek to save my life.

I tend to check butts if I smell something odd, or I notice that Toby has a poo stuck down there. I would say that I flip him over and do a "thorough investigation" about once every month or two. I normally check his incisors then, as well. When I have him flipped over like that, I usually take advantage of the opportunity and trim his nails and clean scent glands, too.

LolaGirl wrote:
How do you check teeth? I can't get a peek to save my life.
Very carefully! I normally flip Toby on his back and attempt to trance him. Once he is wiggled-out and I have a good grip on him, I will slowly, and carefully, gently pull back on his lips. You can normally see the incisors right away. Molars need a scope to look at, I think. Even if I'm wrong, I'm not going to stick my fingers in a rabbit's mouth deep enough to look at them!

Same here as Naturestee and Kherrmann3. I've felt in there for sharp points on the tongue side of the molars, but that was more successful in getting my finger gnawed than checking the teeth.

I check their teeth by holding them upside down in one arm and lifting their lip with the other hand, it only checks their front ones but it is better than nothing in my opinion. I had one baby that was part of a litter bornand apart from checking the whole litter's teeth when they were a few weeks old i didn't check them because i thought there wouldn't be any problems so young, but when he was 4 months old i found him attached to the side of the cage where his overgrown incisors had hooked over the bar of the cage, i was amazed! So it shows you can never assume with teeth!

ETA my myxy bunny is ok thanks for remembering Flashy, she is just carrying on with the odd eye flush here and there!

i check butts daily the buns always dissapprove!

the buns get their teeth checked at the vets Misty every time he goes to the vets and Crystal gets checked every 6 weeksish as she has dental problems. to be honest the only teeth you could check yourself are the incissors at the front of the mouth,spurs normally happen to the molars located further back in the mouth. ideally teeth should be checked by a vet in my opinion as they have the correct tools to look properly. but thats only my personal opinion :)

Yeah sorry should have made it clear that my buns back teeth get checked everytime they go to the vets, at least twice a year with their vaccinations, i just meant that me doing checks on their incisorsin between vet checks is better than not checking any, you've got to do what you can tokeep them healthy don't you?

Back