How often do you change your bun's litterbox?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
I wonder if I'm changing Maisie's litterboxenough. I changed it Sunday night (about 3/4 of it, so itstill has her smell), but see that it's already quite full.Do I need to change it everyday? (For reference, herlitterbox is one of those rectangular small cat litterboxes.)

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, or my naivitee if I'm doingsomething wrong here...Maisie's my first bun, and I've only had her afew weeks now.

Thanks, guys! :D

I have to change Pebbles every night. She hasnewspaper and it doesn't control smell at all but it's the stuff I haveright now that dosen't get tangled in her fur too much. What litter areyou using? You probably should change it everynight jsut to controlodors, and also just to moniter just incase there's a decrease in poops.

We use CareFresh (not the white, just theregular). It seems to be absorbing the odor rather nicelybecause we don't smell much of anything at all. I just worryabout her health in it, ya know?

So, should I change it every night, then?

I use Fresh Step(The same my Cats use.).
I pooper scooper it through out the week. Then on Thursdays(My cleaningdays.), I clean the whole litter box out in thebath tub and then put in fresh cat litter.

Like I said I clean out Pebbles every night andthen clean her whole cage every weekend (she does still poop a bit outof her litter but she's improving!). With Pepsi, she's on wood on thebottem so I have to clean out the wet sawdust every night to preventthe wood from rotting.

Ah, ok. I'll start doing itdaily. You must think I'm crazy for doing it so much lessfrequently!!

Spring wrote:
Like I said I clean outPebbles every night and then clean her whole cage every weekend (shedoes still poop a bit out of her litter but she's improving!). WithPepsi, she's on wood on the bottem so I have to clean out the wetsawdust every night to prevent the wood from rotting.

Nah I don't I used to clean Pepsi's area whereshe goes to the bathroom every three days but then the wood started torot a bit and stink. It's ok to wait that long as long as there's nosmell :).

Fred pees so much. He's a growingbunny boy and inhales food and water! I have to change hisbox daily (at the least) to keep it nice.

Zorro is older than Fred, so he doesn't pee or poop as much.I only need to change Zorro's dish every few days, but I pooper scoopwhen I change Fred's litter.

It really depends on your bun as to how often you need tochange! My litter trays are a bit on the small side, so ifyou think once a week is good enough for a lil bun in a big cat dish,that's fine :D

It depends on how big is your litterbox. I put agrid on top of mine so that my bunnies wont be sitting in the wee andpoo. I dump the litter out and replace every 3 days and wash the boxonce a week.

I've read clay-based cat litters can be harmfulto rabbits because they can be digested and form blockages. Also, theycan be quite dusty and cause respiratory problems.

Yes but you can use a wood based litter or paperbased. I started out using Pine Pellets and have tried Yesterdays newsand am sampling carefresh. I scoop out the wet litter and poop at nightbut don't need to change the whole litter box daily. I do that aboutevery second or third day. Since Delilah does not poop much in her cageI change the bottom tray once a week. I think it depends on the rabbit.My only concern with the carefresh is that it clumps like regular kittylitter so if she does eat it she would have intestinal blockage likewith clumping kitty litter.

Usako wrote:
I've read clay-based cat litters can be harmful to rabbitsbecause they can be digested and form blockages. Also, they can bequite dusty and cause respiratory problems.
That's right. Clumping cat litter is the worst, but all catlitter can have bad effects if it is eaten. And rabbits havea tendancy to taste their litter.

I scoop out the wet stuff and most of the poops once a day. Ican't let it go for more than that because it gets soaked through inthe one small spot where Loki pees. I rarely dump the wholelitterbox, I just don't need to clean the bottom much. I usewood pellet litter, which is the most absorbant and non-smelly stuff(and cheapest!) I've found so far.

I try and clean Wrigley's litter box every otherday...sometimes when I'm feeling a little lazy I just put another layerof litter over the top so I can have an extra day before I have toclean it again.

As far as litter, I've been wanting to try WoodyPet, since CareFresh is getting a bit expensive (now that she's fullylitter trained...YAY!!). Since she's been in her big cage,she's been going exclusively (both #1 AND #2, I'm happy to report) inher box, so it's getting full much quicker than it did before.

Do buns generally prefer any specific type of litter?

maherwoman wrote:

No preference. I tried just about all of them.
Woody Pet or Wood Pellets are the cheapest and controls the smell the best.

I switch out the litter box 3 - 4 times aday. :shock: I keep things very clean forPebbles.
It is very easy for me because I have several boxesmade up. At the end of the day I just lift outthe grid topour out the poopsand spoon out the wetpart and mix in newlitter.I never dump out thewhole tray.

3656.jpg

Rainbows! :D

maherwoman wrote:

my netherland definitely does. i bought pine horse pellets, and my minirex uses them and couldn't care less, but my netherland stops using hislitterbox when i put in anything that has a smell. so, for him i useaspen shavings since they have no odor whatsoever and it keeps both ofus happy. he's happy because he doesn't have to smell his litter andi'm happy because i don't have to clean up his pee puddles!

Latest posts

Back