how much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohsnapitscharity

Reaction score
how much pellets do you feed you bunny a day? the weight of your bunnywould be nice to know. or do you free feed (fill up the bowl and just make sure its never empty)? just wondering because i currently free feed and the bag of food is empty in like 1week and a half. then again...its only like a three pound bag for two rabbits.

maybe i should find a feed store local. if you know of any please let me know. and how much is the food there?

My7rabbits range in weight from 4.5 - 8 lbs. and they are adults who I have placed on a diet . They get veggies and free fed hay and the 8lb bun get 1/4 cup per pellets per day ..everyone else get an 1/8 th cup per day as they all need to lose weight. !/8th cup is not very much so it is almost like a treat to them.

I use tofeed pellets probably 1/2 cup per day and it resulted in overweight rabbits.

My 1little holland lop has dental issues and is fed a different diet altogether than the others.
here is some more info on pellets
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17

Hershey gets free feed of veggies, hay, and pellets. Fortunatley he prefers the veggies! He also has his own room, no cage, so he can get plenty of exercize.

He is a 2 yo, neutered male Dutch. He weighs 4.5 pounds and is healthy. I've had him since he was a baby.

Oh yeah! He also gets 3 crasins most nights before I got to bed!

I have 3 bunnies, ages 2-4, who range in weight from 4 to 5.5 pounds. Each bunny gets about 2 cups of salad each morning. Each bunny gets just under 1/4 cup of pellets in the evening.
Tobi is by herself, so I am sure of how much she eats. She is also the smallest, and has access to less exercise time, so I tend to give her just a bit less than the other two.
Nick and Amelia share, so I'm not sure exactly how much each bunny eats. Nick seems to eat first, and longest, but Amelia is a bit larger and much rounder.
All three have free access to hay.

The majority of my buns are 1.3-1.8kg and they all roughly get the same per rabbit, which is a small handful (just covers the bottom of the bowl).

Candyfloss is 3kg and on a diet and she gets a pinch of pellets.

Angel and Lightning are the only two non neutered buns and they get a good handful of food because their metabolism goes faster.

Summer is ill and she gets pretty much free fed.

If you limit pellets (which I'd only do if the rabbit gorges on them or is overweight) you must make sure to always have hay available and offer plenty of veggies daily. A rabbit shouldn't go without food, but pellets can be limited given hay and veggies are available.

One of my rabbits is a pig. He eats about 1/2 cup of pellets, a bunch of hay, and about 2 cups of veggies a day. He's close to 7lbs. My other rabbit doesn't tend to eat as many pellets, but does eat a decent amount of veggies and hay. She's almost 6lbs but is a little overweight.

ohsnapitscharity wrote:
how much pellets do you feed you bunny a day? the weight of your bunnywould be nice to know. or do you free feed (fill up the bowl and just make sure its never empty)? just wondering because i currently free feed and the bag of food is empty in like 1week and a half. then again...its only like a three pound bag for two rabbits.

maybe i should find a feed store local. if you know of any please let me know. and how much is the food there?
Hi there.

Are your rabbits overweight or do they have any digestive issues (like excess cecals)? If their weight is good and they do not have any digestive issues, then you are probably feeding an appropriate amount of food.

I have two pairs of rabbits - my "furries" weigh 4 &6lbs. They get 3/8c of pellets 2x per day. They eat very leisurely and only when hungry; I could probably free-feed these guys. My lops, OTOH, eat like furry little vacuums.:shock: I would never free-feed these guys. The lopsweigh about 4lbs and get 2-3T of pellets 2x per day. Both pairs get 2 large salads each day as well as unlimited mixed grass hay.

Latest posts

Back