how much to give?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
How much gas meds to you give as a dose to your rabbits?

My rabbit is about 2 1/2 lbs. The dosage on the bottle is 0.5 for a baby is this the same for a rabbit ?

I've never really had to dose a bunny for a serious gas attack, but I do know that you need to give more than the recommended baby dosage.

If the active ingredient is Simithecone, then you can't overdose your bun on it as it is non-toxic.

I believe a full eye dropper every couple hours should do the trick.

--Dawn

Thanks Dawn.

Thought i would give it as he is eating some hay but not any pellets, This is an extra hard one as he won't eat veg.

There are some poo's in his box but not many, will go try that now thankyou:)

The dosage for infants (human) is 0.3 ml.
I find doubling to 0.6ml has better results with the bunnies.

For me it depends on how bad the gas is,for a bad attack I give 1ml straight away. Hope weighs just over a pound now and she has been ok with that dose. I've also been told you can't overdose on it, but I think it was Sas that said you can give 3 doses in 3/4 hours then a 8 - 12 hour break.

this is an older thread, yes. but i want to give tabby, infants tylenol. on the dosage calculator, it says acetaminophen is no longer safe for rabbits. is this true?

I don't think it's safe, but I'm not sure. I was doing some reading for you earlier and found in an old thread that baby aspirin is safe and is a good analgesic. The calculator says to give 100 mg, so you can start with 1-2 aspirin.

This should also only be given for a very short period as it can have bad effects on the gut.

thanks. its just that tabby has some kind of shoulder injury. not sure where it came from and i bought infants tylenol, to help ease some pain until i can get him to the vet on wednesday. i gave .2 cc

ani-lover wrote:
thanks. its just that tabby has some kind of shoulder injury. not sure where it came from and i bought infants tylenol, to help ease some pain until i can get him to the vet on wednesday. i gave .2 cc
Yes, I was aware of the shoulder injury from the other thread. I wouldn't give the Tylonel again, as it's not considered "safe". You can give baby Ibuprofren if you have no baby aspirin though;).

I've given 0.4-0.6 ml of Simethicone every two hoursfor 8 hours with excellent results.

Hi All,

Couple of quick comments here. Would not suggest using Tylenol. Aspirin should be used with extreme caution especially during GI events and when there is a possiblity of bleeding....and remember that bleeding can be internal. Aspirin can cause ulcers in humans....and in rabbits too. In rabbits, they are much more of a concern due to the thin GI walls.Aspirin also thins the bloodand affects it's clotting ability. Something to give serious considerationbefore using aspirin. Simethicone is excellent for gas but can be somewhat constipatingin a stasis/ileus event. Also note that many pain relievers can slow the gut.

Randy

This might not be the right place for this and I hate to steal somebody elses thread but how do you know if a bunny has gas? Might be a silly question but I hear about gas all the time but have never heard the symptoms? Is it like bloat in a dog?

Joy

spoh wrote:
This might not be the right place for this and I hate to steal somebody elses thread but how do you know if a bunny has gas? Might be a silly question but I hear about gas all the time but have never heard the symptoms? Is it like bloat in a dog?

Joy

Hi Joy,

I have no direct experience with gas, but I know they will tend to sit "hunched up" and/or lay down, pressing their tummy to the floor, and the tummy will feel hard to the touch. You also may notice they haven't deficated, urinated, eaten or drank water. Major signs something is wrong. Symptoms sound like gas, treat for gas, itgets worse, get to a qualified vet.

Usually the main way totell if your bunny hasgas is thatyou will hear a sort of rumbling/gurgling noise in the tummy. Usually when you gently massage the belly from front to back you will hear the noise. Its very scary. They so hunch up and press their bellies to the ground. They will refuse to eat and drink usually.

This has gotten off track from the pain management question, but still good info! Heres the Library section on gas with lots of info from people more knowledgeable than me :): Gas

Haley, great advice.

I just want to add one thing whether it could help someone or not, cuz it scared me. When my first bun was put on heart meds (meds I assume caused the gas to start with{Yep, I called the vet about this, they didn't seem to think I should be freaking}:?), I'd never heard the sounds a gurgling, bunny tummy could have:shock:. I tell you I heard it across a whole room:shock:!

Definitely something you will know is going on. Not something you might have missed.;)

Latest posts

Back