How much to feed -

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shainabee

Reaction score
I have heard so many different things. Having a big breed bunny is new to me.
Miley gets about a cup of pellets a day - half in the morning and half at night.
She will sit and eat for 10 minutes in one sitting - almost like a dog. As soon as it goes in her bowl she will try to eat all of it.

She always acts like she is starving when I know she isn't. She has unlimited hay to eat all day long but she craves her pellets - I need to know how much is enough for her because she is still a growing baby. I don't want to be cutting her out of something that she loves more than life haha but then I don't want her to become obese.

A cup is fine since you are feeding hay. I fed Bruno (french lop) around that much (if I can remember correctly.. think it was a cup and a half?) until he was just under a year old. Then I gradually started cutting back.

Now he is a tad on the chubby side with cecal problems. Since he is bonded with two girls who are 'dainty' eaters.. I deliberately give less because I know he'll probably eat their portion. So between the three.. they get only twice as much as one of my singles gets (in total the trio gets two med. handfulls of pellets in the morning and at night.. not sure how much it is since I don't measure). They definitely make up for it with truckloads of hay and LOOOTS of veggies, so no worries about hungry bunnies there! ;)

I rasise nzw's the first three months I keep the hopper full with 15% pellets,after that age I start limiting the amount of pellets to .5 oz. per pound of animal,watch animal as it grows,some will need more feed some will need less.All hay is not the same so can't tell you much more than this,some hay will have 1% or less protein,other hay will have more than 15% protein,join the ARBA if you really want to learn a lot about raising rabbits,good stuff.

Latest posts

Back