How much to feed & Litter Box Training Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok well my Jerseey Woolie, Biscotti, will not, I repeat will not use his litter box. He poops I pick it up and put it in 1 of his 2 litterboxes. He pees I wipe it up with a kleenex and put that in his litterbox. I just made his NIC wire cage today and put the litter boxes in. Before that he hasn't had a litterbox.

He is about 10-12 weeks old, so I don't think he is to old to learn lol Does he need more time? He has a big catpan and a corner litterbox on the toplevel of his cage.

Also I'm limiting his feed, he is actually getting porky. He weighs 2.5-3 pounds. I know they say to free feed rabbits under 6 months, but I don't really want too :/

If someone could help me that would be great ;)

Due to his age and that he just got litter boxes, you need to give him some time to learn. Young bunnies can't always hold it and get to the box in time. Some bunnies take to litter training easily, while others need more time.
Keep doing what you are doing. Putting hay in one of the boxes can help as bunnies like to poop where they eat. A hay rack can keep the hay from getting dirty. Also, if he is using one corner or area to go, you can put the litter box there.

I don't know a ton about feeding young buns, but I would not feed too little. You could give a measured portion that is more than he would need as an adult. I would probably give 1/3 -1/2 cup per day with lots of hay and maybe some veggies.

It will take some time. My buns are approx 3 months. And their not 100%. They pee in their boxes all the time but not poo.

I think it took them a couple days to get the hang of going in the litter box. After that, they peed all the time in the litter boxes. They were in a wire cage and not litter trained when I got them.

Just be patient, :biggrin2: April

It will take some time. My buns are approx 3 months. And their not 100%. They pee in their boxes all the time but not poo.

I think it took them a couple days to get the hang of going in the litter box. After that, they peed all the time in the litter boxes. They were in a wire cage and not litter trained when I got them.

Just be patient, :biggrin2: April

I just moved my bunny into a new cage about a week ago. Before I put her in her new cage, she was doing great in her litter box, using it almost 100% of the time. Once in her new cage, she started peeing and pooing all over the place ... I think she was upset and confused. It took a few days, and now she is mostly using her litter box, I find a few poos outside the box, but it's not a large amount. I put litter in the whole litter box, and only put hay in the front of the box, this way she is always facing the same direction while she eats the hay and poos and pees towards the back of the litter box. That way, twice a day I can clean out most of the soiled litter and just add some more hay, and put in some more fresh litter. I also don't use any bedding in the rest of the cage, I have a fleece blanket on the floor, this way she doesn't think the whole cage is a litter box (learned that tip from this forum). Be patient, it takes time before they get the idea. I've only had my bunny since February and I've already been through 3 cages and about 4 different litter boxes ... I think I finally have it right.

Latest posts

Back