how much should they be drinking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacylou

Reaction score
I recently adopted (sept 29) two netherland dwarf females. They are a bonded pair and are still together in a large temporary 3x2 pen.
They seem to be eating okay, the will NOT touch pellets, but they are eating hay and fresh parsley, cilantro, mint, romaine..ect.
But I have noticed that their water has only gone down about 2 oz in the last 4 days. I had a hamster how would drink that much in 2 days. so for 2 bunnies i just don't know. How much do rabbits usually drink?

That is strange. My bonded pair can go through around 32 oz a day.

You are positive the water bottle is working properly; water comes out the spout when you tap it?

Yeah, it comes out with even little taps on the bottle itself and when you tap the tip it flows out really well. I haven't had a rabbit since i was little so i didn't remember but i thought it was really strange. Guess im calling the vet tomorrow.

If they are acting alright and going to the bathroom normally, they are more than likely fine. Your general 2-3 lb. rabbit won't drink a whole heck of a lot to begin with and if they are new to you, it will take them a little while to adjust and get comfortable eating/drinking in their new home. Also, if they're only eating only fresh foods right now (no dry pellets), their water consumption will be even lower since they get water from their foods.

The only thing to be sure of is that they know how to use a bottle. Where did you adopt them from, were they using a bottle before?

:headsmack

Somehow you mentioning they are Netherland Dwarfs didn't register with me. I have a 2 lb ND and he doesn't drink much at all. However, I still find only 2 oz in 4 days with two rabbits (even small ones) to be strange. I wouldn't necessarily say a vet visit is in order yet though, since they are new to your home.

Try offering a ceramic bowl of water, one that cannot be tipped over. See if that encourages them to drink more.

Are they eating a new brand or kind of pellet than they are used to? That could explain the lack of interest. Sometimes a pinch of rolled oats mixed into the pellet dish can be the needed temptation.

Some rabbits don't drink from bottles at all, some get all their water from veggies. I would offer them a bowl to see if they prefer that.

I would try to give them the same brand of pellets that they were eating before you got them--they often will not eat a new brand if switched rapidly.

Thanks guys, Yes they do drink from the bottle, and when they are drinking I can see bubbles so I know its coming out. The pellets I am feeding them are the ones that the shelter had been giving them, and that the previous owners brought in with them. I got a different brand today and they still didn't want them. I will have to try the oats, but they are using the litter box and urine output seems to be okay so I'm not too worried. Thank you for all your advice!

Latest posts

Back