How much/often should they eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yo

Reaction score
I've looked at the last few 6-7 pages and didn't find anything on this....

How much should a bunny eat?

We were given Mic a few months ago and the people gave us a food bin and a cup and told us how much they gave him. I think it probably measures out to about 1/4 cup, maybe 1/3. How do we know how much he should eat?

Should he just be nibbling all day, on food and hay?

He's not neutered but will be at the end of the month. He used to be really good at doing his biz in his cage but then lately he's pooing all over! Not good. And tinkling pee now and again. Because we cannot have this, we are trying to feed during certain hours, food and hay, and then the rest of the day just hay, and of course water all day. We're hoping this will help Mic to not poo everywhere.

Is this harmful to him, to limit his food?

Thanks!

I've looked at the last few 6-7 pages and didn't find anything on this....

How much should a bunny eat?

We were given Mic a few months ago and the people gave us a food bin and a cup and told us how much they gave him. I think it probably measures out to about 1/4 cup, maybe 1/3. How do we know how much he should eat?

Should he just be nibbling all day, on food and hay?

He's not neutered but will be at the end of the month. He used to be really good at doing his biz in his cage but then lately he's pooing all over! Not good. And tinkling pee now and again. Because we cannot have this, we are trying to feed during certain hours, food and hay, and then the rest of the day just hay, and of course water all day. We're hoping this will help Mic to not poo everywhere.

Is this harmful to him, to limit his food?

Thanks!
--whoa,,-grasses-ie.timothy/orchard-all day 24/7/365,-(some quality pellets-1/3 cup)--water every day--keep
(mic) on a continuous proper diet http://www.medirabbit.com -sincerely james waller :vacuum::duck:

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on his age and size for the amount of pellets that you feed a rabbit. The recommended amount for an adult rabbit is 1/4 -1/2 cup per 6 lb. body weight. But the rabbit's metabolism also will matter. I have a 2 1/2 lb. rabbit that gets 1/4 cup pellets a day. I also have a 5 lb. rabbit that only gets a 1/4 cup pellets too, because even at that small amount, she is overweight. I split up the feedings and feed part in the morning and part at night. The rest of the time they have unlimited grass hay to munch on. I wil also give some veggies morning and night. If your rabbit is at a healthy weight now, then just keep feeding him the same amount that you have been, plus unlimited grass hay to eat throughout the day and night. But feeding an adult rabbit unlimited pellets isn't usually good and can lead to a fat or sick rabbit.

Rabbits don't leave their poop around because they just ate, they do it to mark territory. Once you get him neutered, his litter box habits should improve quite a bit. Even fixed rabbits will occasionally leave a few poop pellets around though. The peeing is also marking territory, so that should stop too, usually within a month after the neuter, as his hormones fade. So feeding during certain hours isn't going to affect him marking with poop and pee. You can try limiting the area he is allowed to run around in, but it may not make a difference until the neuter is done. One thing that can help a little with the pooping, is putting the hay near the litter box so that he has to sit in the litter box to eat the hay. Rabbits poop while they eat, so that will at least keep some of the poop where you want it to be.

As long as he is maintaining the proper weight keep feeding the same amount of pellets. Grass hay should be available 24/7 as should water. Only baby rabbits should be fed unlimited pellets.

Like JBun said, limiting the amount of food or only feeding during certain times isn't going to stop your bun from pooping as much. Its a rabbit, its in their nature to poop constantly. We all have to deal with a certain amount of poop outside of litter boxes and cages, its just part of it. The poop is easily swept or vacuumed up.
JBun also gave you a good idea of what the bun needs to eat everyday. Constant hay, limited pellets. If your bun is over 12 weeks then you can start to slowly introduce leafy greens.
And you can't take food away from the bun to stop him from pooping, they have to be constantly snacking on food to keep their digestive tracks going. So don't stop feeding him because you want him to poop less, it doesn't work like that. It does more harm than good to do that, just vacuum the poop. JBun gave good suggestions to get the poop more under control.

Last edited:
i do unlimited hay

when it comes to food, i free feed. I have a 7ish month old and a 3 year old bonded, but the 3 year old does not gorge on food, just the hay. so, that way my baby can free feed and my older rabbit can at will. i dont recommend this is for everybun though :)

If this is for the lop in your avatar then the amount of feed sounds about right. We feed ours twice a day but I know some who only feed once a day. As you mentioned, hay and water would be available all day. Some rabbits can be free fed but many don't have the self control to stop until all the pellets are gone, causing an overweight rabbit.

Rabbits poop where they eat and everywhere else, lol, but it's pretty easy to pick up. Typically, they like to pee in a corner. As others said, his litter box habits should improve after he's fixed...my daughter's french lop did.

Latest posts

Back