How much food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am getting a new rabbit Fri. or Sat.How much should I feed a baby bun.He/she is around 7-8 weeks old.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ty

Generally it's recommended to feed babies as much as they can eat in a day. I don't like to free feed, because then it's nearly impossible to tell if they've stopped eating for some reason. If you give measured amounts throughout the day, you can tell how much he is eating.

I found my holland lop ate 1/2c as a baby, but that was after he was getting vegetables as well (around 12 weeks). A rabbit not eating veggies would eat more.

Here's our library article - it has a lot of links hat will give you more detail.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

I see that pellets have been mentioned, but I wantedto add hay. It is hugely important for a bunny to get fiber in their diet and the easiest way is to feed them as much hay as they will eat. Baby buns will do ok on alfalfa hay or grass hay like timothy or orchard grass. Pellets have some fiber but it's only a fraction of what they should get.

Ok thanks.I would say around 3/4 of a cup a day then because he/she is not old enough to eat veggies.

Back