How much did you pay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of ours were rescues, or "found" bunnies--parks, schools, neighborhoods, etc. While they might have been free, with the initial vet visit, getting housing, neutering, and all the other little things, we probably spent around $300 each.

Well my rabbit came from a friend who couldn't keep him anymore. So I didn't pay anything for him. But, I did have to take him to the vet several times for his ear (he was chasing one of my cats the first week I had him and the cat bit his ear. They get along great now that everyone is used to eachother and Harvey's neutered).

This is my baby boy rocky. I bought him for $100. He will always have a home with me and be spoiled. I'm hoping to get him a bonding buddy next month :)

100_1186.jpg

rockyy.jpg

The breeder was selling the 2 rabbits for $25. He said he usually sells baby bunnies for $20 each, but my rabbits were already 6 months when we got them. My husband paid $40 for both bunnies. He felt bad for the other bunnies in the farm.

I paid $45 for my Col. Christopher Brandon a Flemish Giant baby boy at 9 weeks old. Money definitely well spent he's such a sweetie.

bestColbrandon.jpg

I think the most I've spent on a rabbit was 50 dollars, and that was Land Shark (Graham, aka the E.Lop who was the exact opposite of what an E.Lop's temperment should be!)and he was from a rescue and was already altered. When it's getting a free unaltered bunny vs. paying a nominal fee for an altered rabbit, I feel the latter totally wins out as far as actual "cost" goes. I lucked out and Hugh was already altered AND free. Double win!

Holly on the hand, while costing me initially 10 dollars, will have now cost me about 310 once she's neutered! *headache*

SunnyCait wrote:
When it's getting a free unaltered bunny vs. paying a nominal fee for an altered rabbit, I feel the latter totally wins out as far as actual "cost" goes.

Exactly my feeling. I consider $100 for Honey, spayed & litterbox trained, a real bargain.

The first bun I got was $45 from a pet store. It was the first pet I had ever bought. RIP Peanut...

I rescued my current rabbit, Rabbi. She was found behind a dunkin donuts by a highway. When I got her from the family that saved her she was so frightened of everything. I made the family and Rabbi a promise I would take care of her forever.

Costs wise, I spent ~$300 each to spay them and i cant even count how much i've spent on toys and misc stuff like houses and even a heating pad(yeah - never even liked it lol).
Not to mention the cost for the best food/hay that I get shipped in bulk from a farm in Mass. Then I just ended up buying rabbit insurance for $120 a year. Well over 2k this year. Totally worth it to me though.

To be honest I doubt I would ever buy another animal from a pet store. There are way too many that need to be adopted/rescued.

I paid $30 for Layla. She was deemed a pet-quality rabbit from the breeder and sold for cheap.. I will someday adopt her a buddy when I have the room and a steady paycheck and most rescues I've looked at are about $50 for a neutered bun.

ohh I am glad that everyone was interested with this thread I wasn't 100% sure how you would take it.
By the sounds of things there are some lovely ppl out there adopting buns! It's great

OneTwoThree wrote:
Wooah, what is Rocky??
Rocky is a Chestnut Agouti Britannia Petite Buck. I got him at the ARBA Convention in California. He has won many 1st places and has a HUGE trophy from winning Reserve in Show. But he is my baby that I will never sell. If i did his price would be wayyy too much for someone to pay. He will always stay with me until it's his time.

woahlookitsme wrote:
OneTwoThree wrote:
Wooah, what is Rocky??
Rocky is a Chestnut Agouti Britannia Petite Buck. I got him at the ARBA Convention in California. He has won many 1st places and has a HUGE trophy from winning Reserve in Show. But he is my baby that I will never sell. If i did his price would be wayyy too much for someone to pay. He will always stay with me until it's his time.
Wow, he's seriously an amazing looking bun! <3

I was supposed to pay $20 for Panda, which I did -to the pet store- turns out we overcharged mom's card and... yeahhhhhh... mom wasn't too happy, lol. Houdini was maybe $25, and it was like a labor day sale or something. He was originally $50 I think. Panda was from a pet store and Houdini was a humane society.

lilylop wrote:
ohh I am glad that everyone was interested with this thread I wasn't 100% sure how you would take it.
By the sounds of things there are some lovely ppl out there adopting buns! It's great

:biggrin2: Yeah all my animals are pretty much rescues and or I adopted them. Well except my reptiles. But all the fuzzy animals will always be adopted.

Frodo (RIP) Dutch - free from a friend
Merry (RIP) Mini Lop- $20 from a pet store - never again
Gandalf (RIP) Lionhead mix - free found in a parking lot

Zander - $25 Californian - was a girl's 4H project
Willow - $60 Flemish - from a local farmer

Jack and Twila (Californians)- $50 each
Adeline (French Lop)- $30
Nora (Mini Lop)- $25
Romeo (Mini Lop)- $15
Max (French Lop)- $50
Ruby (R.I.P)- $50

First four from the same place, Max and Ruby from a different breeder, and Romeo from a 4-H member at our local fair. He was an "OMG! I love him, I gotta have him" bunny. LOL

Back