How much dandelion roots can I give my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McNuggets

Reaction score
My bunny absolutely love dried dandelion roots, and it´s a good way to keep him busy and give him something to chew on. I read however that dandelion should only be given to bunnies in limited amounts, because of high calcium content. Is this also true for the roots, and if so, is there any good rule of thumb regarding how much I can safely give him?

If he's getting to much calcium, he can pee extra sludgy-like calcium deposit. I found that my two pound rabbits can eat about half a root and be perfectly fine. But that also depends on how much other high calcium foods your giving him (kale, bok choy, spinach, broccoli, etc.)
Btw dandelion root is great for the urinary track.

My bunny absolutely love dried dandelion roots, and it´s a good way to keep him busy and give him something to chew on. I read however that dandelion should only be given to bunnies in limited amounts, because of high calcium content. Is this also true for the roots, and if so, is there any good rule of thumb regarding how much I can safely give him?

That is in reference to the plant leaves. I don't know if there is any info about the root. I would presume it will be like other root foods like carrot, and may be high in starches. If so, then I would just consider it a treat food and feed limited quantities each day(treat amounts in link below), provided it doesn't cause digestive upset or mushy poop. You could try and research it as a food for people, and see if there is any nutritional data available in that regard. Then it will give you a better idea if it's considered a high starch root or not.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/treats.html

If he's getting to much calcium, he can pee extra sludgy-like calcium deposit. I found that my two pound rabbits can eat about half a root and be perfectly fine. But that also depends on how much other high calcium foods your giving him (kale, bok choy, spinach, broccoli, etc.)
Btw dandelion root is great for the urinary track.

That´s a good tip, I didn´t know that.. Gonna make sure to keep an extra eye on his pee, seems like simple solution to keep track :)

That is in reference to the plant leaves. I don't know if there is any info about the root. I would presume it will be like other root foods like carrot, and may be high in starches. If so, then I would just consider it a treat food and feed limited quantities each day(treat amounts in link below), provided it doesn't cause digestive upset or mushy poop. You could try and research it as a food for people, and see if there is any nutritional data available in that regard. Then it will give you a better idea if it's considered a high starch root or not.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/treats.html

After googling it seems that many sites recommend it for people specifically because of the high calcium content, so I am going to take your advice and just use it as a treat once in a while ☺

Latest posts

Back