How many times a day do u need to feed ur rabbits ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eviej1221

Reaction score
hi , I need help on how many times a day I need to feed my rabbits , I haven't got them yet but soon I am . I have school in the morning and don't really have time to go down and feed them .

Thank , Evie x:happybunny:

My advice is give them heaps of hay in the evenings if you aren't feeding them in the morning. A rabbits digestive system is built for grazing on grass/hay so a lot of people believe in giving them access to hay to at all times so they always have some food going through their system. That way you only have to feed them the pellets and veg once a day.

If you clean the cage at night and pre-measure out their Timothy hay, pellets and veggies in the evening before you go to bed, and get their bowls ready, all you have to do in the morning is put it in the cage and also make sure to give fresh water. This would only take you maximum of 2 mins in the morning.

I feed my rabbit in the morning and in the evening.

Their digestive system requires food to push it along so as to not have a bloated bunny keep hay and water available at all times. Feed pellets in the morning half a cup per 5 pounds and veggies at night.

I feed my two in the morning and the evening ... as in pellet(s) and green(s)

and I also leave out a lot of hay in the thru out the day w/ chequing it in morning and evening

water at when ever its low and I clean the watering bowl every 4 day(s)

My rabbits always have water available. In the mornings I quickly give them some oaten and meadow hay (about a handful each rabbit) and I feed them 1/2 of pellets at night. One night per week I do not give my rabbits pellets, this cleans out there system, I have been told this not only by a really good rabbit breeder but by my vet :)

I would recommend in your situation to give them a LOT of hay that you replenish each evening at least and then pre-measure out their pellets. Leave pellets in food bowl and hay in there during the evening and they should be good until you're able to feed them again. A good indicator for how much hay you need to feed each day is the size of your bun. I've noticed this to be true for my girl, she's a hay-eating machine. Babies could probably do with having more provided for them than their body size but every baby I've ever had was a little slower on eating hay so to reduce wastage, just keep an eye on how much they eat. Just be sure to provide it for them as that fiber is very important!

It also might be a good idea to at least change the water out each morning. You wouldn't want to drink old water so I doubt they do either. But pre-measuring everything else beforehand should be perfectly fine. ^ ^

I give my girl 1/4 cup of pellets each morning when I wake up as well as plenty of Timothy hay to last her all day until I get home and I give more if she's ran out. She also gets a veggie in the afternoon as I'm still introducing slowly to her as she's never had them before.
But bottom line is - unlimited hay at all times!!!!! It is the main part in buns diet and they should also have a good type of pellet each day too.

My pair get unlimited hay at all times and fresh water. They get 1/4 cup of oxbow pellets for the both of them, as well as their veggies at night.

I give my bun hay at least 4 times a day in handfuls. Giving the same amount all at once generates less interest than divided into a few feedings. I want her to eat more hay, and not look at me with sad eyes, begging for treats! :)

Back