How many rabbits can I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am unaware of any kind of breeders license for rabbits? If you live in a rural area chances are no one is going to care. Me and my mom are rabbit breeders out of our backyard (very responsibly i might add) and we just have to keep in regulations with our HOA. Our hutches dont go above our fenceline, we keep the smell down, and of course rabbits dont make any noise. Are there laws in kansas about breeding licenses? The only ones I would think of is for exotic animals that owners need permits for.

I never heard necessary licensing. Your best bet is to go on your State's webpage and see if there is any laws on the books. There may be a law on how many you can have, but I don't think it's under licensing. But in these days, you never know.

K:)

Contact the animal control office in your city. Mo maybe but not here ive never heard of it. As long as it doesnt turn into a hoarx situstion where animals are mistreated. And only dogs and cats need liscenced

Somebody told me I needed a license for having so many rabbits. I think it was someone at a pet store. I only have one now, but wanted two or three totally. I don't know. I think I will ask the vet when I take her in for her underweight issue.

Right now, to my knowledge, the only ones that need a license are pet stores and people that sell to labs (for rabbits, mice, etc...dogs you need a kennel license after a certain number of dogs). However! There IS a current bill ammendment in the works, that concerns ALL animal owner/breeders! They are currently trying to charge everyone that raises/breeds ANY animal to pay a yearly licensing fee. If you have more than 3 animals, you'll need a license. And it's not cheap. The bill stated $750 for any breeder of mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, horses, etc that house 3 or more animals.

The kicker? They will no longer require licensing for "retail pet stores." Their reasoning is because the pet stores are monitored by the public and private folks aren't.

It's a bunch of bullshit, and we ALL need to make our voices heard. This bill is up for vote in the beginning of July.

Check with your local state or city laws.
State laws/city bylaws vary from place to place. Some will put a limit on how many rabbits you can have, oters will lump it in as all small animals or household animals.
For all you know your city could have a bylaw that states max 6 animals per household, but its not something you will know unless you ask. Good on you for asking, following the laws avoids hefty fines.

Johnson county only counts dogs and cats under the max per household rule. Youll be fine with a few house rabbits

Oh boy. I am going to just get two for now and maybe a third later. The vet may know tomorrow when I take her in. I will let you know what she knows about it.

Back