How long will hormones stay active after a spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
My new girl, who I call Jessie or Jessica (formerly known as Jazzy), was spayed on February 2. She spent a few weeks recuperating, and she and my boy Button started dating again a few days ago. Well, she seems no less "attracted" to him than before the spay. He's been pretty tolerant, but she's more than twice his size and I can tell he's getting a little sick of being squished and is nipping at her now. Is it normal for a girl to still have raging hormones for a while after a spay?

Aww, poor Button! It can take a month or so for the hormones to dissipate. Some of it may also just be about dominance.

Maybe give Button a box with a tiny hole that he can get through but she can't? Or does he just sit there and take it like a man?:p

naturestee wrote:
Maybe give Button a box with a tiny hole that he can get through but she can't? Or does he just sit there and take it like a man?:p

Haha...He pretty much just takes it like a man! The poor little dude has been longing for a friend for so long, I think he'll put up with most anything :). The tiny hole is a GREAT idea! I knew that it could take a while for a males' hormones to dissapate, but I didn't know the same was true for females.

I think Jessie pretty much thinks I'm the devil :(. She had kind of a difficult recovery from her spay and I had to syringe feed her for over a week which she HATED. And,shehadto gothe vet three times for fluids which she didn't enjoy. I'm doing my best to make it up to her now that she's feeling better! Poor girl... I think her favorite place to live was your house. I think/hope she'll warm up to me in time :).

Cara

My poor baby! I wonder why her spay was so hard on her? Honestly she hated me at first too and took some time to warm up to me. For the first week or so I would pick her up every day to give the runts an extra feeding and she was just terrified of me. Myheart can tell you- she visited a few times to see the babies and I'd let Jazzy/Jessie out and she'd run off to the other side of the room and stay there. I had her for over three months, so she had lots of time to get used to me. Plus I was the one that let her escape from her babies during playtime.;)

I tried the little hole trick with Fey and Oberon, problem was the big lug would squeeze through! I swear he had to have dislocated his shoulder like Houdini or something to fit through the hole and I was scared of him hurting himself so I stopped. That hole was between their two pens, and he wanted Fey's pen so much! Hopefully it will work a little better for you and Button can have a safe space to rest and regain his dignity.

Latest posts

Back