How long will hay last me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zkeaton

Reaction score
I am nearly twelve years old and Im going to get a bun soon! I was doing some online shopping and i need to know how long hay will last, I'm getting a holland lop.. shes three years old and medium sized. i don't know how this works like at all, i bought 96 oz. Will that last me like a week..?

I am nearly twelve years old and Im going to get a bun soon! I was doing some online shopping and i need to know how long hay will last, I'm getting a holland lop.. shes three years old and medium sized. i don't know how this works like at all, i bought 96 oz. Will that last me like a week..?
So 96 oz of hay lasts my 16 ( rabbits and guinea pigs ) around 2 days , so i'd think like 2-3 weeks , 4 at the most .
I can give you some tips of bun care , i'm nearly 12 too! 🥰 😁

So 96 oz of hay lasts my 16 ( rabbits and guinea pigs ) around 2 days , so i'd think like 2-3 weeks , 4 at the most .
I can give you some tips of bun care , i'm nearly 12 too! 🥰 😁

omg thank you sm I was not expecting a reply to be honest, I'm going to put the order on authorship for 3 weeks! thank you for the help and omg that's a lot of animals

I got Theo when I was your age! In my opinion, it is the best age to get a rabbit. I'm guessing you are buying from Chewy because of the AutoShip? I suggest getting this hay if that is the case: https://www.chewy.com/standlee-premium-timothy-grass-grab/dp/170849. It lasts Theo (who is a mini rex and very close weight to a holland lop) 8 months, and it is only $25! It is so much cheaper than buying small bags. Even though it is for horses, it is completely safe for rabbits.
I'm not sure if you are planning on housing her inside or outside, but I suggest litter training her. It makes clean so easy! Of course, she will need to be spayed if not yet because it will help with litter training, and prevent cancer. For indoor housing ideas check out these links:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/I'm also not sure what her diet will look like once you get her but here is a link that should help: Feeding.

Make sure you post a thread on the "Rabbit Registry" forum with pictures when you get her! We love pictures here!

I got Theo when I was your age! In my opinion, it is the best age to get a rabbit. I'm guessing you are buying from Chewy because of the AutoShip? I suggest getting this hay if that is the case: Standlee Premium Timothy Grass Grab & Go Compressed Bale Forage Horse Feed, 50-lb bale - Chewy.com. It lasts Theo (who is a mini rex and very close weight to a holland lop) 8 months, and it is only $25! It is so much cheaper than buying small bags. Even though it is for horses, it is completely safe for rabbits.
I'm not sure if you are planning on housing her inside or outside, but I suggest litter training her. It makes clean so easy! Of course, she will need to be spayed if not yet because it will help with litter training, and prevent cancer. For indoor housing ideas check out these links:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/I'm also not sure what her diet will look like once you get her but here is a link that should help: Feeding.

Make sure you post a thread on the "Rabbit Registry" forum with pictures when you get her! We love pictures here!
Hi Mariam,

I'm curious, how do you store the hay? Inside I'm assuming but just keep it in the bag and add as needed?

I would recommend buying hay directly from a farm, you’ll save tons of money. Just google your city and Hay Sales and call them up to ask if you can buy a small bale of Timothy hay, in my experience bunnies like 2nd cut. I used to spend hundreds of dollars on hay from the pet store or ordering online, luckily I found I local supplier. I have to bunnies and they go through a bale every 4 months approx and a bale is only $16 here! I have a huge storage bin from the hardware store that I keep in the bunny area that I fill with hay to store near by and the the rest fits into 2 XL garbage bags that we keep in the basement as it’s cool and dry there.

I would recommend buying hay directly from a farm, you’ll save tons of money. Just google your city and Hay Sales and call them up to ask if you can buy a small bale of Timothy hay, in my experience bunnies like 2nd cut. I used to spend hundreds of dollars on hay from the pet store or ordering online, luckily I found I local supplier. I have to bunnies and they go through a bale every 4 months approx and a bale is only $16 here! I have a huge storage bin from the hardware store that I keep in the bunny area that I fill with hay to store near by and the the rest fits into 2 XL garbage bags that we keep in the basement as it’s cool and dry there.
Giant bales here are 4 pound .
They last me a month .

Honestly, buying hay from a pet store or any source meant specifically for rabbits is usually overpriced.
If you can get to a feed store, that would be preferable. I'm adding a picture of my current bale of hay right now. As you can see it's a big bale that should last me A WHILE (AT LEAST 6 months and I've got 15 rabbits, but I don't feed them very much hay) and that was only $15. (It's under a covered patio rn) If you are really in a pinch for money you go to a feed store and see if you can take the hay that falls on the ground. They're often happy enough to let you take some for free so that they don't have to clean it up. If they have a dumpster for fallen hay you might want to ask about that too.
P_20200417_090325.jpg

I got Theo when I was your age! In my opinion, it is the best age to get a rabbit. I'm guessing you are buying from Chewy because of the AutoShip? I suggest getting this hay if that is the case: Standlee Premium Timothy Grass Grab & Go Compressed Bale Forage Horse Feed, 50-lb bale - Chewy.com. It lasts Theo (who is a mini rex and very close weight to a holland lop) 8 months, and it is only $25! It is so much cheaper than buying small bags. Even though it is for horses, it is completely safe for rabbits.

actually, I haven't even thought about chewy... I was using amazon, thinking they have literally everything... I'll definitely look into chewy tho! and real quick, sorry, but um do I give her pellets, I don't have her yet but she's three years old, so do I like give her timothy pellets in the morning or something..? Every time I try to research it the results change every time and I don't know what to do...

Honestly, buying hay from a pet store or any source meant specifically for rabbits is usually overpriced.
If you can get to a feed store, that would be preferable. I'm adding a picture of my current bale of hay right now. As you can see it's a big bale that should last me A WHILE (AT LEAST 6 months and I've got 15 rabbits, but I don't feed them very much hay) and that was only $15. (It's under a covered patio rn) If you are really in a pinch for money you go to a feed store and see if you can take the hay that falls on the ground. They're often happy enough to let you take some for free so that they don't have to clean it up. If they have a dumpster for fallen hay you might want to ask about that too.
View attachment 46705

we have a feed store right next to us actually! we go there a lot for deer feed for our ranch! but cant store that much hay where i live, and i don't think our store sells hay in smaller amounts, is there any store or area you would recommend. thank you!!

Latest posts

Back