How long will grass/weeds keep?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
Our lawn is VERY tall, all the better for picking, but mom is wanting it mown. *Booo* When it gets mown my pickability will go down drasticly and it worries me.

Piggy is on a 55% wild diet and 45% veggie diet with only getting pellets a few times a week and Becca is on about the say except she is getting pellets everyday. I am slowly cutting them both off of pellets. Piggy has been in the process for about 3 weeks now and I just started Becca at the first of the week.

Considering I have to pick everyday and sometimes it is hard to do, like the days I work, I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to store them and how long they will keep? Do I pick 'em, wash 'em and put them in green bags right away? I have never tried keeping grass/weeds in the fridge before.

Any help would be great.

I am going to see if we can make a deal and leave a part of the yard un-mown. I think I can persuade her.

I know someone who dries grass out so that it's sort of like hay. You can make a rack (NIC grids would work for this, or I'm sure you can come up with something) and just lay the grass on it in the sun for a few days. It should keep much longer that way.

Also, Alton Brown has a method for drying fruit that would work for grass. He basically takes two big box fans and some filters (like for an air conditioner I think). He places the fruit or whatever in between two filters, puts the filters in between the box fans, then turns the fans on so that it forces air through the filter and dries out the fruit in the middle. I bet if you did a google search you could find a video of him doing this. I bet it would work well for grass too and it's pretty cheap to get the materials.

I don't see why fresh picked grass and weeds wouldn't keep just fine in the fridgelike lettuce or herbs. I've kept dandelion in the fridge for about 7-10 daysno problem. Just make sure they're not wet.

Drying them like hay would also work. But you'd have to be diligent they didn't grow mould.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I don't know why I didn't consider just putting them in the fridge. Lol. I guess I imagined grass would just get very soft very fast, but it totally depends on the type of grass and how long you need it to last.

if you just bung the grass into the cage, the grass will dry in 2/3 days and become yellow,but putting them in the fridge like ordinary veggies will work cos basically they're just a type of veggie, if you get my meaning. you could take the mown grass and keep it the fride but it would a lot of space. i suppose you COULD deep freeze it but i'm not sure. i usually just give some, if they eat all of it fine, if they dont it get's thrown away the next day:p:p:p

Just thought I'd mention: From what I've read, you shouldn'tfeed grass cut with a regular lawn mower to rabbits. Lawn clippings rapidly start to ferment, whichcan reallyupset a rabbit's digestive system.

Hand picking or cutting with shears or scissors is okay, though.

Rue

I don't think you're supposed to feed grass clippings - is that correct? I'm guessing it's because the mower gets oil and things on it during cutting so it's only ok to feed if you pick it yourself.

I just did a quick bit of research to be sure: Hay is cut with a mowing machine that has a bunch of knives that cut the grasslike scissors. Lawnmower blades spin as they cut and basically munch the grass up, causing it to start to ferment.

And yes, there is a chance that oil or other contaminants will get on the grass from the lawnmower.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I had just planned to pick loads before she hired someone. It would also be helpful to be able to go a day or two without having to pick. When it rains I can't pick and I do not want them going without so It would really help to pick extra the day before rain.

I pick things in our yard for Hazel too. I usually pick enough to fill a gallon ziploc bag. I store it in the fridge with the store bought greens, in the ziploc bag, between 2 paper towels.
It lasts easily for 4 days that way. Maybe longer, but they're gone by then, so I don't know :D

I used to keep a grocery bag of grass and forages in the fridge for the guinea pigs. It lasts nearly a week in the fridge but usually they ate it within 2-3days.

Ok, shortly after I got up it started sprinkling. It stopped and I went and picked a grocery bag of stuff. After dishing Weeman and Becca their morning meals I put it in green bags. It filled one green bad and then had to use a second for a wee bit extra that would not fit. All tucked away in the veggie drawer.

If this works well it will be SOOO helpful since I can not usually pick on my working days. I can simply go in the kitchen and get what they need and give to them before I leave. Mind they will be eating MANY hours earlier than what I usually feed breakfast but they will be fine :)

Latest posts

Back