how long until we can hold baby bunnies after thier born

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley Rose

Reaction score
How long until you can hold baby bunnies after thier born? is their a certain age they should be? Would the mother let someone hold them without harming them after? If not then what will she let us do?

Haley Rose wrote:
How long until you can hold baby bunnies after thier born? is their a certain age they should be? Would the mother let someone hold them without harming them after? If not then what will she let us do? Can someone please awnser this.

Haley Rose wrote:
How long until you can hold baby bunnies after thier born? is their a certain age they should be? Would the mother let someone hold them without harming them after? If not then what will she let us do?

You can examine the babies immediately after they are born -- but be careful that they don't get chilled!

We give the doe a treat, then check the babies. Most does do not mind their babies being handled when the have a treat to distract them :)

Pam

--Just make sure not to hold them for too long. They're so fragile when they're first born!! :bunnydance:I love baby bunnies...

when my last litter was born i waited till she cleaned them up and herself gave her some greens then had aquick hold but this really depends on the doe as when my other doe had kits she would not let me near them

Oh yes. I have this one doe that is so posessive, she's ready to attack if you get near her kits!! Yeserday I tattooed her litter, and she was furious when I was done. I don't know why she's like that...:?

Tattoing does cause some temporary pain... but it doesn't last. No, it's not like a human tattoo. You have to buy a special set of tatto pliers and numbers and letters, and take the rabbit and squeeze the needles (#'s) in the left ear of the rabbit. They squirm, and sometimes they squeal, but an hour after that they're fine and just like normal.

Electric tattooshavealso become very popular. I use a human tattooer, but there are also many brands of battery operated "pens" used for tattooing.

Pam

Really? How much do they cost and where can you get them?? ...sounds like something I would want:D

There are many models of tattoers available. Human tattooers start at about $200. The electric pen models are also very popular.

The Stibbar model is reasonably priced and of good quality http://stibbar.com/Store/Tattoo/index.htm

Many of the tattoo kits offer a variety of ink colors. I highly recommend only using black ink.

Pam

Back