How Long until Happy Cuddles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShreddersMom

Reaction score
Hello!

I've had my bun for about a month now and he has come a long way in litter training and getting more relaxed and friendlier. However, he doesn't seem to really want to be pet or cuddled or picked up. While he is quite inquisitive and friendly, he doesn't really want to be touched.
For example when you walk in the room he will sniff and come up to you and appear to want to interact, but then will hop away if you try to pet or pick him up. If you offer treats he will sit there eating them while being petted.
Also he will sometimes jump up on my bed if I am up there but more to explore really than want pets.

I am just wondering how long before he is okay with being pet or is this just his personality to not be friendlier than just a no contact interaction.
Is there anything I can do to make him okay with being handled? How much longer should I give him to settle in and stuff as he is still sometimes skittish and scared of noises and such.

He is 2 years old and not neutered.

Would neutering change his behaviour in any way?

Thank-you, I appreciate input!

:apollo:

Unfortunately, rabbits in general aren't usually "cuddly" animals. They're prey animals, so their instinct when being picked up is that they're going to be eaten. Many never get used to being picked up, and how they react to other sorts of attention varies from bun to bun, depending on their personality.

That being said, I've heard that neutering generally does help with this. I can't speak for everyone, but since my bun got neutered, he's been more friendly, and he no longer tries to kill me if I need to pick him up for whatever reason. He also no longer poops all over :D So definitely worth the $50 surgery. Definitely call around and try to find a low cost spay and neuter clinic in your area if you can, I would highly recommend getting the little guy fixed.

Thanks for the response!

I think the cheapest I have found so far is $150 but I think it will be worth it anyway. Neutering is definitely something I will look into more seriously! Thanks for the feedback!

Of course! And let me just say, I was definitely a skeptic while reading all of the "NEUTERING IS AWESOME IT MAKES BUNS MORE FRIENDLY/HOUSE TRAINED/ECT" posts around here, but for me it really did work.

Have you looked into specifically low cost spay/neuter clinics? I don't know where you're located, but I'm in NC and I found an actual help line that directed me to a bunny savy surgeon in my area.

Either way, I hope everything works out well! :D My Jingle's always liked being pet, but he definitely nudges me more for attention now. At least, when he's not creepily staring at my newest bun.

Yeah, I've called about 30 clinics ranging from $500+ to the cheapest being the $140.

I think I will definitely try that and see how things work out.

Thanks!

Yeah getting him fixed will make him more relaxed and happy to be pet. Now that my bunny Bambi is desexed he loves getting heaps of pats and is more relaxed. The other day he flopped down with his head resting on my foot and slept like that for 10 mins. So cute! He would never have down that before he was fixed. Though he ( and probably a lot of other rabbits ) still does not like being picked up.

My rabbit sounds the same as yours...I found neutering actually did not help him get any friendlier. He was never aggressive, before or after the surgery, but he paid more attention to us pre-neueter (that being said, I'm not saying anyone should not neuter their rabbit. Just that it might not turn a rabbit into a friendly cuddle-bug). He would even play a game of 'catch me' by picking up a little toy and teasing my husband with it before running away and looking back. He never did that again after the surgery, which made me really sad!

I think my rabbit just doesn't really care for people. He never bites, and has never acted scared of us, or even skittish, in his life. He just doesn't like interactions with us all that much. It seems like when we pet him, we are annoying him. He will never run from us, but will hope away so he is juuust out of reach for petting : ) The only time he lets us pet him is when he flops down, exhausted from running around. And forget being picked up, he struggles like a maniac. We needed three vets/assistants to help get his nails trimmed!

Some rabbits are just like that, whether or not they are fixed. He might not get any more cuddly, but you'll learn to love his personality and his cuteness!

Last edited:
Your rabbit's behavior is completely normal. Especially if he isn't spayed. Rabbits don't like being picked up because they're natural place is on the ground. If you want to be able to touch him a little more, do what you are already doing. Feed him while you pet him. Maybe with bits of potato peel or coriander. And when he jumps on your bed, try and put him down on the ground immediately. Lay down the law and don't let him up at all and eventually he will stop coming up. I know it may seem sweet that he wants to sleep with you but there is nothing sweet about going to sleep in a bed of hard little rabbit poos. And even worst of they are soft. Ugh.

King Hugo - My rabbit does not struggle when forcefully picked up, he kinda lets it happen but breathes heavy and you can tell he wants to be released. He has let me clip his nails, just also, doesn't enjoy it. He is the same in terms of the petting and not seeming like he really wants to interact though always comes and sniffs and wants treats. I am getting him neutered on Thursday so we will see if that improves anything!

caitlinsloan83 - He doesn't really enjoy being up on the bed, just jumps up when he's exploring. And by the time you reached to get him off the bed, he would've already jumped down to avoid being picked up!

I will update when he is neutered to see if there are any changes. Though, how soon after a neuter should I expect any changes???

Oh yeah, my rabbit is obsessed with me if I have a treat in my hand (or he thinks it's time for a feeding) as in climbing all over me and licking, but other than that I am pretty much chopped-liver. That's what makes me think he isn't scared of me, but just doesn't really care to be pet. He does like to be near me though... if he is out and he has the option of laying down in his cage or lying down in the room I am in, he usually hangs out where he can see me.

In response to your question, I've always heard that it takes at least 6 weeks after neutering until the hormones calm down, so I wouldn't expect much behavioral change before then (if indeed his behaviors are hormonally-driven, at not just due to his personality). At least that's what I was told when I began trying to bond my rabbits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back