How long to keep pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korr_and_Sophie

Reaction score
I am going to have to buy more pellets soon. I also have the option to get a 50lbs bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics T. I usually buy 2 10lbs bags and that lasts about 3 months or so. So a 50lbs bag would last 6 months or more. Buying 50lbs would save me about $15-20 or about 35 cents/pound.

I am wondering how long pellets can last and how I can store them better.
Currently, I only open 1 bag at a time when I need to, but a 50lbs bag doesn't have that option. I know that the pellets can loose nutritional value if kept in an open bag for too long. Would dividing it into large zip lock bags help? What about putting them in the freezer? Any other ways to keep them fresh longer? Should I just buy 2 10lbs bags again.

I would only buy 1 10lbs bag at a time, but I don't go near the store that sells them very often, and the vet is too expensive for me.

Any help or insight to this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

Good questions. I bought 100lbs of Oxbow BBT a few months ago because it was a great price and the store I got it from is 2 hours away.

The date on the bag of Oxbow says the pellets are good until 2010, unopened bags. I still have 80lbs of rabbit feed and I calculated it...all that feed should last me 8 more months...as I go through 10lbs or a bit less a month.

Keep in mind I only have 3 bunnies who eat 1/4 cup daily (Brody gets a tad more).

ETA: I bought five 10lb small bags of Oxbow for the same price as one 50lbs bag. I also bought one 50lbs bag = 100lbs of Oxbow all together.

undergunfire wrote
The date on the bag of Oxbow says the pellets are good until 2010, unopened bags. I still have 80lbs of rabbit feed and I calculated it...all that feed should last me 8 more months...as I go through 10lbs or a bit less a month.

Keep in mind I only have 3 bunnies who eat 1/4 cup daily (Brody gets a tad more).
I guess I miscalculated how long a bag lasts. All 3 of my buns get 1/4 cup a day. So I guess I use about as much as you. I have never really figured how long a bag lasts. I did try once, but failed miserably due to my utter lack of organization. I try to keep track, honest. :D

I think I may have to go for the 10lbs as I don't have a huge amount of money right now and may also get some grassy mats too.

I did look at the threads and they did provide good info that I will keep in mind :)

I was in Calgary for Easter, and picked up a 10# bag for $30.00 dollars. :shock: The vet clinic told me to try Chewsypets next time. (403) 271-2688 That's who they get their Oxbow from.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
I was in Calgary for Easter, and picked up a 10# bag for $30.00 dollars. :shock: The vet clinic told me to try Chewsypets next time. (403) 271-2688 That's who they get their Oxbow from.

That's where I get mine form. A 10lbs bag is about $22. They also have a bunch of other good stuff that I can't find anywhere else.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
A 10lbs bag is about $22. They also have a bunch of other good stuff that I can't find anywhere else.
That is about the cheapest around here. I spent $70.00 for Oxbow pellets and Oxbow hay at the Calgary Avian & Exotic clinic.2 years ago, it was $24 for a 10# bag . I'll have to give Chewsypets a call because their website is not up yet.

Latest posts

Back