how long to bunnys live?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGH_HEAT

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,
i have had a bunny since college i got him when he was 1 yrs old ... he is now 4.5 -5 yrs old and in perfect shape.
i would like to know how to maximize his life span , is there anything i can do

thanks

mike.

Hey Mike :)

I think it depends on the breed and size of rabbit. I haveheard anywhere from 5-15 years could be their life span. Afriend of mine - her rabbit is 14 years old!!??! He is alarge breed and weighs in at about 15 pounds. Is your bunneutered? Some complications in old age usually involves thereproductive system. Spaying and neutering makes for ahealthier (and happier) bunny. :D

Hugs!

Shorty, Star & Krick

In truth, neutering may not be necessary. No one disagrees uterine cancer of does is dramatically reduced when spayed beforethe age of three years or more, but I have not been able to find significant documentation in support of a similar reduction in cases of testicular cancer in unbred bucks.

No doubt, it may bring about reduction(s) in hormonally induced male behaviors like aggressiveness, urine spraying, sexually mounting, urine/feces marking, but if you are not experiencing those problems now, why take the risk immanent with any surgery.

Having written that, I would be the first person to admit that elimination of the testicles would naturally prevent the development ofthe disease. I just cannot find the data to substantiate the premise l much ike it is so prevalent and easy to find for does.

Please, if you come across any data supporting the contention that unbred bucks are prone to testicular cancerand that statistically it would be wise to undergo surgery, please inform us, here, of same.

Buck

Latest posts

Back