How long should nails be for a Mini Rex?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm not clipping themas often as I shouldor short enough, but my Mini Rex, Toby, always has the longest nails!

I have heard that the breed's nails do seem longer because of their coat, but he is always accidentally scratching me.

I clipped his nails about 3 weeks ago, and today I was shocked to notice how long they've become.

Would anyone happen to have a picture or great description to show me how long they should be?

Thanks!

-Kathy

You should clip the nail just past the quick (which varies depending on age/individual). Mini Rex seem to have especially fast growing nails!

A flashlight can be helpful in locating the quick in dark nails. Marking the spot with a little white-out will help to avoid cutting into the quick.

Pam

I have to trim Bo's every 2 weeks to keep them shorter. If you keep them trimmed more often, I've heard the quick will retreat also.

Berry-Boo's nails were obnoxious! You would have to trim them often, and you couldn't trim a lot off! Her nails were clear, so you could see the quick, but you couldn't go near the quick because she would bleed! We wouldn't even trim close to the quick and she'd bleed a little. Toby (the Nethie) has low-maintenance toesies, I guess. Berry-Boo's nails always looked really long, but they were as short as we could keep them.

Thanks, everyone!

I didn't realize I'd need to trim his so often. I'll have to use the flashlight/white-out trick Pam suggested since he has dark nails.

Sigh, I sure do dislike clipping nails,lol!

Thanks again,

Kathy

For mini-rex, I found that using a file might be easier than clipping. I know that the filing vibrations can make the quick recede back, as well. My friend, who worked at a pet grooming center, told me about that. Those pedi-paws/pedi-cure dremel drills are nice for that, too! :)

Hubby wants me to get one of the Pedi Paws for the dog...... I wonder if Bo would allow me to use it on him? LOL!

With Mini Rex, they are smaller, so their nails are thinner and not as long. Like a cat, when they start to curve, they're too long, in my experiences with them anyway. Their nails do stay thin and do get long at the same time. So, lightly trimming them a bit more often than other breeds works well.;)

Latest posts

Back