How long does this last?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardigraskisses

Reaction score
So, I was wondering how long bunny puberty lasts? Bayou has been neutered since he was about 6 months old (he's about a year now).

I've been having some behavior problems with him that I've tried to remedy in every way possible with no luck, so I'm thinking he's just going through a time where he feels the need to be obnoxious. :biggrin2:

I'm sure it varies from bun to bun, but I'm just looking for an estimated time.

fuzz16 wrote:
What kind of problems?
Pulling up the carpet and extreme cage aggression at the moment. He's very ornery, which is okay, I can deal with that.

The carpet is the biggest issue though. I've done tons and tons of research on how to get him to stop and tried everything, but he won't.

Well for the cage aggression I would suggest that you just let him come out on his own, if you aren't already, and not reach in when he is in there.

The carpet - if he is digging in a corner, then what I would do is go to the store and buy one heavy ceramic floor tile for each corner he digs on. Put the tile over the carpet. Voila :)

He may be digging out of boredom?
I know people who put cardboard boxes up in corners to keep them from chewing up carpet.

Have you tried a squirt bottle? I make a tisktisk sound and Fallow stops doing whatever he was before.

I don't mess with him while he's in his cage, but I have to distract him when I put his food in, otherwise he'll knock the bowl out of my hand. :grumpy:

As for the carpet, he has tons of toys and it's not the corner of the carpet he's pulling up, it's anywhere he pleases.

I used a squirt bottle for a few weeks, but eventually he just started ignoring it. I've also tried bitter apple spray, but since he pulls up the carpet all over it wasn't much help. It's not like I can spray my entire room.

I'm telling you guys, I've tried everything so I'm hoping it's just puberty.

Our terrible teens seem to last till our bunns are about 1 year to 1 year 6 months...

Often cage aggression and destructive behavior is related to a few things...

When ever we have a bunn who starts showing this type of behavior we start to re-arrange thier cage...switching things from side to side or in really bad cases we will pull everything out wash the whole cage to de-scent it and all the toys and then re-arrange the things as we put them back in...

We will also take a look at our behavior...has bunn been locked up more than usual...did we change our schedules recently? Bunns LOVE LOVE LOVE schedules and when we change ours our bunns take offence at the change in theirs!

Does he have enough different toys to keep him occupied and busy? Does he need more or something different? Is the cage still a good size?

Or if it is puberty...you can try to re-direct the desctruction...if he likes to chew and dig in a particular area...put something in the way...we bought a HUGE grapevine ball and wheneverour bunns would try to eat drywall we put it in the way...eventually they switched to eating it instead...definately tastes better than drywall!

Good Luck!:)

Danielle

There's no way he's bored. His cage is huge, he has tons of toys that he plays with all the time, he gets lots of attention and out of cage time. It has to be puberty. He used to be such a sweetheart. :grumpy: Is this what my parents feel like?

Runestonez wrote:
Yup...but if you are chewing holes in the carpet...that might need a bit of therapy!:biggrin2::pinkbouce:
:twitch: I've almost thought of going into Bayou's cage and chewing on his things... See how much he likes it. :biggrin2:

Hubby got tired of the kids peeing on his stuff...so he asked if I'd mind if he could pee on their stuff for a change...NO! Weird little man!:shock: I was actually worried he might try! I can't shake rabbits...but I CAN shake HIM!:disgust:

Bentley wrote:
Bentley only rips into the carpet when she has to go to the bathroom or wants to be put back... but idk if your rabbit would be feeling the same way?
I doubt it. His pen is open when he's out of it so he can come and go as he pleases. Sometimes I think he does it just hear me shout NO at him.:?

mardigraskisses wrote:
Bentley wrote:
Bentley only rips into the carpet when she has to go to the bathroom or wants to be put back... but idk if your rabbit would be feeling the same way?
I doubt it. His pen is open when he's out of it so he can come and go as he pleases. Sometimes I think he does it just hear me shout NO at him.:?
I think my boys the same. I tell him no and he just comes over to me for a pet then goes right back over, looks at me...the starts pulling at it or digging -.-

Latest posts

Back