How long does Metacam take to work?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
As the title says really, how long does Metacam take to work?

Dusk failed his treat test (and was lacking the behaviour that normally comes with knowing his treat is coming, such as the stamping he does as soon as he hears me come out), and so, suspecting his spurs are back, I gave him Metacam. An hour and a half later he has now eaten all the treats and some extra pellets and parsley and is now tucking into hay.

I'm trying to work out if the Metacam has made the difference to him, or if something else is playing a part (such as weather).

Basically I'm trying to work out if I should be stressing him with a vet visit (which I think is what I do need to do, I just wanted to check RE the Metacam).

I'm of the opinion that Metacam works reasonably fast. I generally could see some improvement in behavior in about 30 minutes. I'm guessing that an hour and a half later, that's about as much improvement as he going to get.

I don't know exactly, but since it's dosed twice a day, and it's a liquid, it probably goes to work very quickly. Dosing every 12 hours means it probably has a half life around 6-8 hours, so it goes to work within 1-2 hours.

From WHEN YOUR RABBIT NEEDS SPECIAL CARE, by Lucile Moore and Kathy Smith.
Pg. 401.
Lasts 12-24 hours, good for arthritis pain.

Disabled Karla typically feels more sparky after 5-10 minutes of her (maintenance) metacam dose.

Sparky enough to relocate her disabled hind legs OFF her bath-soft rugs ~ and be across the room !!

Thanks guys :)

Dusk is going to the vets later today. Thanks for all the info :)

Yup, spurs. Looks like I've got my first reoccuring dental bun. Oh the joys.

Latest posts

Back