How long does it take to recover?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it about 14 days before you get them backto regular activity in order to give the surgical site a chance to healproperly and check them at least twice a day to make sure they aren'tchewing at the area.

Wallace

My girl, Bugsy, took almost 14 days to recoverfully but I've read lots of different experiences. The vettold me that if she wasn't eating after 24 hours to contact them. Shedidn't eat so she had to have a painkilling jab the following day andeven after that Bugsy didn't eat. I had to syringe feed her for 5-6days, and after that, she would only eat if I held it for her and eventhen only very small amounts.

She's normally kept outside but she lived in our kitchen until I was sure she was well.

By the end of 8-9 days she'd started to pick at bits of food herselfand after almost 2 weeks she was back to normal and pooping all overthe kitchen so I kinew she was feeling better if she was marking theterritory!

I was so worried in the first days after the spay but Bugsy just needed time, she bounced back and is as 'right as rain'.

I read somewhere (I'm researching a lot aboutbunny spays right now) that after the op they must be kept indoors ifthey aren't already, in an area where they can't jump onto anything fora week, or else the wound could open. It can sometimes take a whilewith the girls because it's such an invasive procedure.

But from neuters often the boys are back to themselves within a few days.:)

Ohhh...so when taking your bun to the vet,should you ask for a syringe incase you have to force feed? Or can Iget a syringe at Petsmart or something? Just in case!

- Amy:brownbunny

I always keep feeding syringes around, in casesomeone goes into GI stasis. I get mine in the pharmacysection of Walmart. They're baby medicine syringes, and theywork great.

Michaela, yes they should be kept inside for a few days after thespay. I don't think it has to be for a whole week, the mainproblem is that after anesthesia rabbits (like other animals) haveproblems keeping their temperature stable. Houses usuallyhave more stable temperatures than the outdoors. That, andit's good to keep a close eye on them for the first few days.

My girls have all been really active within a few days.Although girls may still be a little sore for a month or so after, andmounting for dominance during bonding can be painful. Boyscan still have active sperm for 4-6 weeks after the surgery and shouldnot be allowed near any intact girls.

naturestee wrote:
Michaela, yes they should be kept inside for a few daysafter the spay. I don't think it has to be for a whole week,the main problem is that after anesthesia rabbits (like other animals)have problems keeping their temperature stable. Housesusually have more stable temperatures than the outdoors.That, and it's good to keep a close eye on them for the first few days.
Thanks Angela! But I think I'll forget to mention that to my mum :whistling

Hehe, the more time the girls get to spend in the house the better!:D

I loved it that bugsy stayed in the house - (myhubby wouldn't let her stay permanently) - the vet told me to keep herin for a day or so just to make sure she didn't tear her wound, thetemp was constant etc. We kept her in longer because shewasn't eating. We knew she was ready to gooutsidewhem she started letting us know the kitchen was HER place!

Back