how long do females stay at vet after spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan223

Reaction score
hello, so i am getting my bunny spayed in about 2 weeks. only issue is that the vet im going to is over 4 hours away so i already have to rent a car just to get her there. how long do most people have to wait before bringing them home? if it's absolutely necessary like i can leave her there and sleep in the car in the parking lot for the night but im really hoping they'll let me bring her home same day. i am incredibly experienced with critical care etc so im just wondering if i'd be able to manage her care/eating at home.

again if that's really dangerous i obviously won't take the risk. but i feel like she'd be way less stressed in my quiet dark apartment where i can adjust the temp to whatever she needs, and other than sub-q fluids im not entirely sure what the vet could do that i couldn't?

If your appointment is in the morning and she gets done then they should release her by the evening. Only problem is post op appointments if it’s 4 hours drive for you! my rabbit was done yesterday although he’s a male and the operation was more complex but he was done at 12pm and I was allowed to pick him up at 6pm! Although I’m returning to the vets today because he’s not pooping!

Some vets send them home the same day, but others keep them overnight. Just call and ask so you are prepared. The ones that keep them overnight stay with them so they can watch and make sure there are no adverse reactions to the meds and can give immediate attention if needed.

Back