How long before I should let a bunny run around?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowballbun

Reaction score
Hi all! I just got a new bunny in December, and the pet store guy (who is trustworthy) said that I should make sure I hold and cuddle with the bunny so that it likes to be cuddled and gets used to you. He said you shouldn't let it run around for at least 4-6 weeks so that when you take it out it will want to cuddle and not want to just run away....
Well I have been letting him crawl off of me a little bit lately, like on the couch....he has been so curious to explore. But now he also doesn't want to sit on me as much...he tries to struggle to get away so that he can get on the couch.

Do you think that this will pass? I am worried that my bunny will not like to cuddle anymore???

How big of a cage or enclosure is your rabbit in? Rabbits need a lot of exercise. If your bunny has free range of a room or something, then what you're doing is okay, but if not, you really need to let your bun out to explore in a bunny proofed area.

Not all buns like to be held. Remember that rabbits are prey animals, so when you pick them up, to them it's like being snatched up by a hawk and can be very scary!

Bunnies need exercise, so he might be getting bored in the cage. I would start in the bathroom or similarly small room. Just sit on the floor and let the bunny hop around - most likely he'll come to you..

Snowballbun wrote:
Hi all! I just got a new bunny in December, and the pet store guy (who is trustworthy) said that I should make sure I hold and cuddle with the bunny so that it likes to be cuddled and gets used to you. He said you shouldn't let it run around for at least 4-6 weeks so that when you take it out it will want to cuddle and not want to just run away....
Well I have been letting him crawl off of me a little bit lately, like on the couch....he has been so curious to explore. But now he also doesn't want to sit on me as much...he tries to struggle to get away so that he can get on the couch.

Do you think that this will pass? I am worried that my bunny will not like to cuddle anymore???
rabbits have their own identities,,some of their behavior is predictable,,i don,t know the environment in which your rabbit resides,,but they like to explore,,if he/she licks you,,nustles,etc..he already likes you,,but bottom line is you are a predator they know that,,and if you try to force yourself on him,,expect him to run away---we therefore play their game at any cost...sincerely james waller:wave:

None of my four bunnies likes to "cuddle, or be held. They do their own thing, mostly. When they are out for exercise, I will get down on the floor with them, and they will let me pet them and sometimes sit near me.

I expect your bunny is very curious about his surroundings. Even if he does like to sit on your lap, he will still want to run around and explore. Make sure the area is bunny-proofed!

I don't know about not letting him run for 4-6 weeks... I think it might be worth it to keep him in a small area until he gets used to you. I like to advise people to lock themselves in with the bunny in their pen if you have one, or any bunny-proof space, for at least 30 minutes a day. Spend the time on the floor with them but don't try to pick them up or touch them. Just be there with them. If you want to separately "train" him to get used to being held and handled, you can do that in parallel. But spending time on the floor with the bun should, in my opinion, be an activity about building trust (which means no grabbing, picking up, etc.). It's important to limit the space a curious little bunny has so that he has the opportunity to get to know you before they move on to the next really cool thing in the house.

I didn't let my baby bun out of the rabbit room for some time. But he had plenty of space to run around and exercise still. I would carry him to different parts of the house and limit him to where he could run (some places aren't bunny proof). I do think that the key to a bunny liking you is to spend as much time as you can with them so they build a strong trust for you. Limiting the available space more or less forces them to be interested in you.

How long you want to keep him under wraps is up to you and how comfortable you feel with him. But it is important to fully bunny proof any areas you want to set him loose in.

Latest posts

Back